IGNORED

What did you do to your venture today?

gggGary

I put l.e.d. Lights in the red marker(?) lights in the rear of my '87. The lenses appear to have been bleached by the sun so I took one off and marked up the inside with a red Sharpie, I like the result. It might not last forever but it was a very cheap fix.

I also solved the gas leak from the peacock by taking it off and adding Sealall at the joint, let it sit overnight and no more leak!

P_20170818_122343_1.jpg

synchronized carbs today on my 2012

Had it done on my 2016 by Squidley. Bought the carb tune and decided to try it myself. Pretty easy operation

Good to hear from you John. Obviously you're not up to your butt in water! Doug

Went for a ride onto Tamborine mountain and back. My Dads buddy who is also a Vietnam war veteran came along on my RSTD. Roger was a tank driver in 1970-71. My brother also came along on his Honda Fury. Good way to start the day.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Well, as I posted a couple of weeks ago, I've had no opportunity to ride at all this year. I have made a couple of recent additions to the bike though.

Lower wind deflectors. I had the Yamaha crash bar mounted lower wind deflectors on the '99 but hadn't put them on the '05 yet. I finally broke down and did that a couple of weeks ago.

I bought the Speedodrd calibration unit and it was delivered this week. Will get it installed this weekend and make sure that I take pictures of the process when I do.

I had the Harley Davidson split vision mirrors on my Road Glide and liked them pretty well. The chrome peeled on one of them and I had replaced them with a new set. I still had the old set around here so bought the stem adapters and put them on the '05 RSV. I liked them on the RSV also but didn't like that they had some chromed peeled off and that they had Harley Davidson inscribed in the chrome. So I finally ran across the exact same mirror on Ebay but without the Harley Davidson inscription. They were also less than half the price of the Harley Davidson branded mirrors so at $53.00 delivered, I pulled the trigger on them. I didn't expect much in the way of quality but I was pleasantly surprised. THey are very nice. Heavy and the chrome looks great. Only time will tell how well they hold up.

s-l1600.jpg

Rode to work and back yesterday and then changed the front tire. Old one just wore to the wear bars. Dunlop E3 with 18,850 miles off and a new Dunlop E3 on in its place. Now at 30,500 miles and thinking about valve clearance check/adjustments. May be a winter project.

Went for a ride. Needed to put a hundred miles or so on the 89.....really needed to...

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=110336

"really needed to..." = RIGHT THERE WITH YA BROTHER!!!!:thumbsup:

on the way from a GREAT Northern Michigan ride today out test riding the new 114 inch Milwaukee 8 Fat Boy,,,,, I sensed Tweeks feeling a little low so I treated her to a special comparison between herself and a

Installed the Edset (Buddy Rich) cable. Quick painless install. The iPhone 7 works great so far with it with the exception of trying to stream Pandora. Two more weeks of day to dark work and hopefully get a chance to ride. Anyone with experience being able to stream pandora through the Garmin?

Found why the rear Dunlop 404 felt loose in cornershttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170910/f9d6212121eb8f06964d3fc61844d5e7.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170910/b125e375046f80b58959787d250721ce.jpg

That's ugly! You may have used up some of your luck by not having a tire failure on the road with that one?

That's ugly! You may have used up some of your luck by not having a tire failure on the road with that one?
I think so. I found this after I returned from a three hour ride. Need to step up my pre ride checks to more than checking tyre pressures.

I tinkered all day putting in new spark plugs as the carbs I have rebuilt seemed to be working great thanks to the video. 35-39 miles to gallon average.... Very pleased with myself now to tear into the set of carbs I took off more specifically number 2 carb. I am thinking either idle jet came loose somehow or mixed up jet screw somewhere. If it turns out to be flaw with carb body I have a spare. Also went to empty parking lot and pulled off some real tight turns and found out real quick how tight I can turn I can turn around within two parking spots!! Two lane road etc. But it is a lot of feather g and using back brake. My brakes are still linked and did just fine

Sent from my LG-K371 using Tapatalk

Feeling quite pleased with myself, :banana: a simple job I know but crawling on the ground at my age isn't easy!

Changed the oil & filter on my RSTD. Last time I used Motul synthetic @ $80 a jug. This time I used Rotella T6 @ $40 for a 5L Jug (used that with no complaints on my Kawi Vulcan)

What I don't get though is the manual tells me without filter 3.5L with Filter 3.7L.

I drained the oil, changed the filter & filled up with just under 3L of oil, Ran the bike to check for leaks & checked the level, it was already on the full mark. So I did not put the remaining 0.5L in as I didn't want to overfill.

I did stop/ run the bike a few times & checked again with the same result & I will check again after a short ride.

A "normal" oil change will not drain all of the old oil out. There is a bit left in the bottom of the transmission. That is where your difference is.

If you really want to drain it all out you have to pull the bottom bolt of the middle gear cover to drain the transmission, but it is not enough oil to justify the effort.

What Jeff said plus a couple of other things. If the bike does not have the drain plug at the lowest point such as how the bike is tipped or sloped, not all of the oil can escape the pan. Another thing some people do is they will run the bike prior to draining the oil thinking that if the oil is hot it will drain better. The problem with that is some oil is now sticking to the upper cylinder and head area, and it takes a long time for it to slowly drain into the crankcase! When changing oil, the absolute best way to do it is to have the bike set for several hours before draining, and let it drain for a couple of hours to give the pan time to get the really nasty sludge on the bottom to also slowly ooze out (no, there won't be a lot of it).

Even then you never get all of the old stuff out but doing what I just said will account for at least some of that .5 L you are talking about, especially if you ran the engine just before changing! You will be surprised to find out just how slow oil drains...

Feeling quite pleased with myself, :banana: a simple job I know but crawling on the ground at my age isn't easy!

Changed the oil & filter on my RSTD. Last time I used Motul synthetic @ $80 a jug. This time I used Rotella T6 @ $40 for a 5L Jug (used that with no complaints on my Kawi Vulcan)

What I don't get though is the manual tells me without filter 3.5L with Filter 3.7L.

I drained the oil, changed the filter & filled up with just under 3L of oil, Ran the bike to check for leaks & checked the level, it was already on the full mark. So I did not put the remaining 0.5L in as I didn't want to overfill.

I did stop/ run the bike a few times & checked again with the same result & I will check again after a short ride.

Note to self: If the oil level is still at the "full" mark after a bit of running, loosen oil drain and let some out.

Don't want the excess oil to get blown into the air box and create a mess. Halfway mark is usually max....