IGNORED

R1 Caliper Questions

I have heard replacing the RSV front calipers with R1 calipers gives much better braking. I am thinking of doing this.

I see on eBay several different styles of R1 calipers. Should I be looking for a certain year or color? Think I read somewhere the blue insert ones are better... but can't recall for sure.

Do I need to change my brake lines or any other component? I am assuming I will need to order R1 pads. Right?

Any other tips?

Thanks

Yup, that cover's the basics of the swap...Any R6 or R1 caliper that has the "horizontal" mounting tabs that act parallel to the caliper pistons vs the newer radial mounted calipers that bold "downward" through the caliper. The other options are early Road Star Warrior (2002-2005) or late Road Star (2008-up) that have the correct 14mm CHROME master cylinder and the upgraded calipers.

I found mine through RSWarrior for $50 shipped (calipers & master) when I was researching and fixing the blown jack shaft on a ridding buddies bike.

OK. Bought a set of goldstar R1 calipers and a 14mm M/C. The calipers arrived today but still waiting on the M/C to start the work.

I do have one question. Seems the R1 and stock cailpers are very close and I can see will bolt right up. But I noticed the location where the brake line bolts in is on a different angle. Will stock lines still work? I may upgrade to SS anyway, but I would have ordered RSV lines which still will be angled for the stock calipers.

The stock rubber lines will fit with a bit of wrestling with them to get the right twist. Aftermarket RSV Stainless lines WILL NOT fit as the stainless limits the twist. Talk to SkyDoc about his stainless lines to fit the R1 swap otherwise you'd have to custom order from one of the major companies.