IGNORED

Procedures for changing the air filters on a Gen 2

If this is your first time remove the lower outer fairings. Don't forget the one plastic rivet that pushes straight up form the bottom center. Then remove the air filter housing. It is pretty straight foreword. Watch the placement of the small vent hoses. Clean up any oil residue etc. (Some people have found a way to get around removing the lower fairings. I would not recommend this on the first time.)

Mike

I was able to remove the covers pretty easy this last fall without removing the lower fairing. Although I had to use a flex socket to get to one bolt, it went pretty fast. I hadn't removed them before and owned this bike for 6 years. Mine was really clean and only required blowing out some debris and re-installed. Good for another 6 years

I use a long handle phillips screwdriver to loosen the band clamp. Then I think its 10mm socket and you will need a wiggler to get to one of them I think its the top. but they come out easy enough without pulling the lowers. Those are a PIA.

• 2 weeks later...

Also as a side note. I found out that if you have the chrome cover looking things on the OEM air box, they will not accept a OEM yamaha filter. I forget exactly what the interfearenc is. But I serviced a friends that had these chrome ones on it and I had a like new pair of OEM off my 09. They wouldn't fit the covers back on. 07-air-filter-Chrome-top.jpg07-air-filter-for-chrome.jpg

The one on the right is the one that came out of the chrome one.

I was able to remove the covers pretty easy this last fall without removing the lower fairing. Although I had to use a flex socket to get to one bolt, it went pretty fast. I hadn't removed them before and owned this bike for 6 years. Mine was really clean and only required blowing out some debris and re-installed. Good for another 6 years

Jeff my friend you need to ride more:stickpoke:

Also as a side note. I found out that if you have the chrome cover looking things on the OEM air box, they will not accept a OEM yamaha filter. I forget exactly what the interfearenc is. But I serviced a friends that had these chrome ones on it and I had a like new pair of OEM off my 09. They wouldn't fit the covers back on. [ATTACH=CONFIG]97959[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]97960[/ATTACH]

The one on the right is the one that came out of the chrome one.

Do you have a photo of the covers installed on your bike? Which filter did you go with ?

Mine are OEM black plastic. I scoured the net for like a year pricing K&N. I found a set on amazon fot about $65 I think. They can be pricey so look around. If you look at the chrome top you can kind of see why those filters are shorter and dont have that rise on the top. I would have to look at the K&N aand see if they would work with the chrome cover units. But on the site they only list one filter.