IGNORED

Battery or electrical demon

On my 01 RSV, sometimes (3-4 times per week) when I go to fire it up, it takes longer than it should to fire and runs weak like it is misfiring for a few seconds. when ever it does this, it also resets my tripometer, and displays my Odometer. I brought it home today at lunch time and put it on the battery tender.

Anybody have this happen before? Is my battery getting ready to die; if so, what is the best battery (price does not matter).

It would indicate a low voltage issue for sure. I would check connections first and clean them. The ones on the battery first and also the ground on the block of the bike. Also the pesky connections on the main fuse buy the starter solenoid under the left side cover. If it turns out you need a battery I got an AGM from bohannon battery

6 years ago I installed a Odyssey Model PC545-P Gel Battery in my Venture. It finally gave out on me last week and yesterday I installed a brand new Odyssey in the scoot. I believe the battery finally gave out because I was using a standard 12V Battery Charger instead of the Charger Odyssey recommended. The Odyssey folks DO sell a Charger/Trickle Charger specific to their Battery. I now have a new Charger to go with the new Battery.

Boomer....who sez good luck in yer choice of Battery replacement....there are many to choose from.

charged the battery and took it to Autozone. it passed the load test. I cleaned all the connections well and put the battery back in. If the problem persist, I will have to troubleshoot my charging/ignition system. hopefully it does not come to that.

On my 01 RSV, sometimes (3-4 times per week) when I go to fire it up, it takes longer than it should to fire and runs weak like it is misfiring for a few seconds. when ever it does this, it also resets my tripometer, and displays my Odometer. I brought it home today at lunch time and put it on the battery tender. Anybody have this happen before? Is my battery getting ready to die; if so, what is the best battery (price does not matter).

Once you've determined that your battery and charging system are OK but still suffering the same symptoms, I would suggest starting to do the ignition key switch test. Mine started doing what you described two years ago, but last year it came to a head where I had to replace the ignition (key) switch.. which then required a new kick stand switch (gah can't remember the proper name for it.. SCCR?) and then finally the pickup coil packed it in.. After all that pain and suffering last summer, it was well worth it.. The bike now roars to a good and proper start, and rides smooth as anything. The tests are simple enough to do (If I could do them, anyone can.. ;) and can save you some trouble down the road..

Best of luck!

OH man Seaking, I remember all that. You got a keyless by-pass relay from me right. Idea was to just forgo the switch, then you couldnt get it to work, Then on to something else and ended up coils and black boxs etc all bit the dust at same time.