IGNORED

HID headlight installed

hi guys, just wanted to say I've installed an HID headlight conversion kit on my Midnight Venture and wow.. talk about sweeeeeet!

Installation was rather quick and easy, mostly all plug and play and instead of burning a 55/65W headlight, now I'm burning a 35W HID (Hi / Lo single bulb). They achieve the hi lo beam by means of an actuator that retracts the bulb into a housing etc. Neat.. they do warn you not to flash them fast though. But they assured me its 100% ok for normal usage.. just don't flip them hi lo rapidly.. How bright? wow, I was impressed. it 'throws' lights well ahead of you, illuminating everything well. Dang.. and I thought my last 'super bulb' was good..

Installation is simple and easy to do. Its MUCH easier to do this part with the bucket removed from the bike, simple to do.. You remove the H4 bulb and install the HID H4 bulb in, with the weather seal behind it. Re-install the bucket into place and run your cables. Depending how much stuff you're already hiding under the fairing, you'll have to figure out where to install everything. There is a slim ballast which I velcro'd to the right side of the inner fairing (throttle side of the bike). Plug in all the cables and leads, you can't mess this up as they are all one size for each and weather sealed. You can ground the unit within the fairing frame but will need to run a new power lead back to the battery through the fairing, under the fuel tank to reach the battery. There is a 10A fuse provided which I cut and moved down to the battery area. If I blow the fuse, I certainly don't want to rip the fairing apart to reach it ;)

Once everything is tightened up and tucked away, turn on the ignition. The light flashes brightly as it ignites and then warms up to a bright white light rather quickly, especially when it's cold. If the light is already warm you don't notice the flash up when you start. I left it on for 30 mins to make sure I wouldn't have any heat issues and I couldn't feel any heat from any of the components such as the ballast or relay etc.. However, the headlight itself is warm. Did I say it was BRIGHT? hehe.. I'll have to adjust it by trial and error so I don't get cagers flashing me all night long..

Additionally, I also installed the Afterburner LED highway lights on my engine guards. They don't really stand out at all in bright daylight, but cloudy days, dusk and especially at night they are rather eye piercing from any angle.. wow.

I hope to have photos of these lights later this week depending on the weather.

The HID kits and Afterburner lights can be obtained from this Canadian company at an amazing price, the owner is super helpful, even called me after I left him an email asking about some of the components I was working on.

http://canadiancruisercustomizing.com/

http://canadiancruisercustomizing.com/images/hid_kit.jpg

http://canadiancruisercustomizing.com/images/afterburnerdl.jpg

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've read quite a bit of good stuff about these. The only major thing that was really holding me back was the price tag.

The extra wiring I figured might be some work, but I figured I could handle it.

I'd be interested to hear what you think of it after a few weeks of good use :happy34:

I think I posted a link for that supplier a week or so back... they are located in Prince George, Bc I believe. Some interesting products which I'll eventually be dropping some bucks on from them.

Being a Canadian company, he's quite fun to deal with.. no trans-border BS.. that was a big deal closer for me.. I've bought several of his items and they are all top notch.. solid. The bullet lights alone are impressive.. I accidentally dropped them several times but they're so solid, no probs. NICE!

Daytime riding with the HID today was informative.. my ride buddy said the Lo beam showed a bright blob of light, nothing extraordinary but the Hi beam in day time zaps ya in the eyes.. I can hardly wait to see how well they work tonight if it doesn't snow.. yeah, snow.. sheesh.

I've read quite a bit of good stuff about these. The only major thing that was really holding me back was the price tag.

The extra wiring I figured might be some work, but I figured I could handle it.

I'd be interested to hear what you think of it after a few weeks of good use

Yeah the wiring is child's play.. so simple.. seriously, if *I* can do it, anyone can.. yeah..

Balking at the price? Dood! Do a price comparison anywhere else for a Hi / Lo HID system and you're not going to beat this price.. I ran into some guys today who were kicking themselves because they bought a Hi / Lo system and it's cost them $400 installed and it keeps blowing fuses.. It took me a couple of hours to do mine and cost me $60 or so with shipping..

I'll drop a post after a few days or hard riding to let you know.. What most people ride in a week I do in a few days around here lol.. Retired and nothing better to do with my time than ride, ride and ride some more.. Sooooo therapeutic.. it makes the voices go away..

Balking at the price? Dood! Do a price comparison anywhere else for a Hi / Lo HID system and you're not going to beat this price.. I ran into some guys today who were kicking themselves because they bought a Hi / Lo system and it's cost them $400 installed and it keeps blowing fuses.. It took me a couple of hours to do mine and cost me $60 or so with shipping..

I'll drop a post after a few days or hard riding to let you know.. What most people ride in a week I do in a few days around here lol.. Retired and nothing better to do with my time than ride, ride and ride some more.. Sooooo therapeutic.. it makes the voices go away..

Huh. Well gee whiz, that isn't too bad. The last time I had looked seriously was a few months ago and I wasn't finding anything less than $150. I guess I just didn't look in the right places.

I'll stay tuned for the review! :thumbsup2:

Guest tx2sturgis

I know they put out a lot of light, but I worry about the little precision solenoid (or stepper motor or whatever is in there) having a failure. Like any other inexpensive, yet high precision aiming device: time, vibration, and normal wear can take a toll on the usable lifespan of the device. I'm not in the 'cheaper is better' camp. It's one thing to put inexpensive lighting pods and accent lights on the bike, they have nothing to do with safety. But a headlight that craps out at nite on a deserted road at 70 mph will not be a good thing for anyone.

If I buy one, I will look for high quality, and a known reputation for durability. Too many of these cheap imported products dont stand up to the test of time. I hope this one does.

Let us know how it holds up.

Edited by tx2sturgis

I have had the same Bi-Xenon HID on 2 different bikes over the last 7 years and 100k. It still works great and is much brighter than any incandescent. But its easy to switch back. As you can see the kit has a male plug that you plug into where your regular bulb would go. Just pull the HID back out and insert a standard H4 and your back running. But I never had to yet.

I know they put out a lot of light, but I worry about the little precision solenoid (or stepper motor or whatever is in there) having a failure. Like any other inexpensive, yet high precision aiming device: time, vibration, and normal wear can take a toll on the usable lifespan of the device. I'm not in the 'cheaper is better' camp. It's one thing to put inexpensive lighting pods and accent lights on the bike, they have nothing to do with safety. But a headlight that craps out at nite on a deserted road at 70 mph will not be a good thing for anyone.

If I buy one, I will look for high quality, and a known reputation for durability. Too many of these cheap imported products dont stand up to the test of time. I hope this one does.

Let us know how it holds up.

Your concerns are noted as they were the sames ones *I* had as well.

However, these kits are not cheaply made or crap, they were TUV certified and well engineered. Its like anything and everything else.. nothing is infallible.

I certainly wouldn't say these are "cheaply" made, they are inexpensive to buy, there is quite the difference.. Like always, I carry a spare H4 bulb with me regardless when I go on road trips, and the HID is easily disabled and a regular H4 system put in.. not hard..

I just got back from a few hours out in the dark lonely highways and city streets (BRRR it's only 38'F tonight) and wow.. blows me away how bright this system is!! wow..

I am SUPER impressed with this lighting..

Your concerns are noted as they were the sames ones *I* had as well.

However, these kits are not cheaply made or crap, they were TUV certified and well engineered. Its like anything and everything else.. nothing is infallible.

I certainly wouldn't say these are "cheaply" made, they are inexpensive to buy, there is quite the difference.. Like always, I carry a spare H4 bulb with me regardless when I go on road trips, and the HID is easily disabled and a regular H4 system put in.. not hard..

I just got back from a few hours out in the dark lonely highways and city streets (BRRR it's only 38'F tonight) and wow.. blows me away how bright this system is!! wow..

I am SUPER impressed with this lighting..

Couldn't you carry a spare HID? Just me thinkin'. I know, dangerous. LOL

so this was a plug and play install or did you have to order something specific for the venture?

hi guys, just wanted to say I've installed an HID headlight conversion kit on my Midnight Venture and wow.. talk about sweeeeeet!

Installation was rather quick and easy, mostly all plug and play and instead of burning a 55/65W headlight, now I'm burning a 35W HID (Hi / Lo single bulb). They achieve the hi lo beam by means of an actuator that retracts the bulb into a housing etc. Neat.. they do warn you not to flash them fast though. But they assured me its 100% ok for normal usage.. just don't flip them hi lo rapidly.. How bright? wow, I was impressed. it 'throws' lights well ahead of you, illuminating everything well. Dang.. and I thought my last 'super bulb' was good..

Installation is simple and easy to do. Its MUCH easier to do this part with the bucket removed from the bike, simple to do.. You remove the H4 bulb and install the HID H4 bulb in, with the weather seal behind it. Re-install the bucket into place and run your cables. Depending how much stuff you're already hiding under the fairing, you'll have to figure out where to install everything. There is a slim ballast which I velcro'd to the right side of the inner fairing (throttle side of the bike). Plug in all the cables and leads, you can't mess this up as they are all one size for each and weather sealed. You can ground the unit within the fairing frame but will need to run a new power lead back to the battery through the fairing, under the fuel tank to reach the battery. There is a 10A fuse provided which I cut and moved down to the battery area. If I blow the fuse, I certainly don't want to rip the fairing apart to reach it ;)

Once everything is tightened up and tucked away, turn on the ignition. The light flashes brightly as it ignites and then warms up to a bright white light rather quickly, especially when it's cold. If the light is already warm you don't notice the flash up when you start. I left it on for 30 mins to make sure I wouldn't have any heat issues and I couldn't feel any heat from any of the components such as the ballast or relay etc.. However, the headlight itself is warm. Did I say it was BRIGHT? hehe.. I'll have to adjust it by trial and error so I don't get cagers flashing me all night long..

Additionally, I also installed the Afterburner LED highway lights on my engine guards. They don't really stand out at all in bright daylight, but cloudy days, dusk and especially at night they are rather eye piercing from any angle.. wow.

I hope to have photos of these lights later this week depending on the weather.

The HID kits and Afterburner lights can be obtained from this Canadian company at an amazing price, the owner is super helpful, even called me after I left him an email asking about some of the components I was working on.

http://canadiancruisercustomizing.com/

http://canadiancruisercustomizing.com/images/hid_kit.jpg

http://canadiancruisercustomizing.com/images/afterburnerdl.jpg

Couldn't you carry a spare HID? Just me thinkin'. I know, dangerous. LOL

Well that would explain the 'saw dust smoldering smell around here...

Several of us have this system installed or soon will have it installed.. We're going to keep a spare unit on hand for emergencies, that way we don't have to wait for the shipping process to happen.. just go pick up the spare, install and order another spare.. Too easy.

so this was a plug and play install or did you have to order something specific for the venture?

This one is for any and all bikes.. It works great with the RSV because we have a lot of space under the fairing. And these components are not huge.. Compare the sizes with the H4 bulb for example.

I didn't bother taking pics under the fairing because it was too simple an installation.. Perhaps I should have all the same..

50 bucks, nice huge increase in lighting on the bike.

I have had the same Bi-Xenon HID on 2 different bikes over the last 7 years and 100k. It still works great and is much brighter than any incandescent. But its easy to switch back. As you can see the kit has a male plug that you plug into where your regular bulb would go. Just pull the HID back out and insert a standard H4 and your back running. But I never had to yet.

Buddy,

What is the brand and where did you get your HID kit?

Could you post the Stock Number for that Kit?

Sounds like that is just what I need down heah to spot them possums and armydillos that like to fornicate at night on the highways heah....

Boomer.....who's gonna stop and video some of this animal action and put it on a Pay-to-See Site for all dem weirdos.

I like what I see, and just about ready to pull the triger. I was just wondering if someone from the US could tell me how much they paid for total shipping costs? :think:

Looked like $13 to Texas, but don't know if that is US $ or Canadien $.

No problem. I just ordered one. It was $64 or so delivered in American $$. I payed through paypal and they did the currency conversion.

yeah don't worry, the US $ is at par with the CDN $ for most of this week.. so you won't have to feel like a Canuck ordering from the US ;)

Seaking,

I have just add my KISAN Headlight Modulator and it was Plug-N-Play to my 2nd GEN and the back of the Stock Bulb.

From what I seen at the Link I could NOT see the back of the bulb configuration? Can you explain or provide Pictures??

I too would like to add this to my Bike and KEEP my Modulator in place!

TY :)

Charlie & Mimi

Edited by frogmaster
Spacing is not being saved for illustration (removed)

Seaking,

I have just add my KISAN Headlight Modulator and it was Plug-N-Play to my 2nd GEN and the back of the Stock Bulb looked like this:

-----

l l

l l

From what I seen at the Link I could NOT see this plugin configuration? Can you exlain or provide Pictures??

I too would like to add this to my Bike and KEEP my Modulator in place!

TY :)

Charlie & Mimi

I think you were trying to show one horizontal and two vertical? yes, then that's it..

-

| |

I honestly do not know if you should or could use a modulator with a HID.. I dunno..

I think you were trying to show one horizontal and two vertical? yes, then that's it..

-

| |

I honestly do not know if you should or could use a modulator with a HID.. I dunno..

ALL,

I sent KISAN the link to this "HID" Bulb asking if the Venture P115W Modulator will work??? Stay Tuned for answer.

Edited by frogmaster
Added email info

Nope, a Modulator can't work with a HID.

A Modulator changes either Voltage or Current Output and that's really not good for the Ballast. The Bulb on the HID works with high Voltage(30,000 Volt) which is created by the Ballast. If you modulate the Voltage down, the HID Bulb won't light up at all.