IGNORED

High Speed Whine

Picked up a whine from the rear of the bike from 55 to about 70. Suspect the pumpkin pinion gear nut may have backed off. Has anyone tighten this? What did you hold the ring gear with??

Dealer has ridden the bike and tech says 'I don't hear anything unusual'. If he doesn't want to tighten the nut, I'm not gonna make him. Too many other things he can hurt in the process. And as long as there aren't any parts involved, I'd rather do it myself. Even thinking of switching to a VMAX rear end.

Lots of folks have been happy when they have switched.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally pulled the rear end and split the gears. Found the pinion to have hundreds of small scores in the teeth. All of them virtually microscopic. Showed them to the dealer and explained that I had a whine louder than the clutch or the tires and while it wasn't really broken, if Yamaha didn't replace it, I'd have to buy a new one that I really couldn't afford. He agreed to phone corporate, and, - - - - they replaced it. WooooHoooo.

But, after two hours of trying to put the shaft back into the universal (pumpkin off) I finally got out my Dremel tool and relieved a little of the shaft front. Sharpened it like a pencil and back cut the teeth. Sucker slid in like a lost puppy goin' to milk.

Only noises now are the clutch and tires.

I'm starting to think MY whine issue is coming from the diff. I've moly lubed everything and even fixed my groaning shock but there is still a loud whine that shouldn't be there.

I have a small mp3 player/recorder that I'm thinking about attaching to the bike in different spots and try to narrow down my noise. I'll probably get too much wind noise but, what the heck, I'll try. I just HATE to leave it with a dealer for warranty work.