IGNORED

Installing ISO GRIPs

I've installed my Baron's 1.5" risers and what a difference those make.. better riding position.. and now, time to do the hand grips. The stock grips are too small for my large hands.. I know how to take the bar end weights off but how do you get the left side stock handle off? I saw somewhere in another message how this was done when I first got here but for the life of me I can't find that article? I'd love to change them out this morning so hopefully someone is up early today =)

Thanks in advance.

Cheers!

I just bought a new 08 Venture and as I am alittle over 6ft the bars are forward alittle for the way I sit on the bike because of my long legs and have been wondering if I could and if it would help if I put a riser or something on mine did this help yours? I havent been around any bikes in over 15yrs so this is all new to me again. I love the bike just need to tweek it alittle. Thanks

I just bought a new 08 Venture and as I am alittle over 6ft the bars are forward alittle for the way I sit on the bike because of my long legs and have been wondering if I could and if it would help if I put a riser or something on mine did this help yours? I havent been around any bikes in over 15yrs so this is all new to me again. I love the bike just need to tweek it alittle. Thanks

Yer a tall drink of water, aren't ya?! I'm just 5'8" =)

Before putting the risers on, I found a lot of my weight resting on the palms of my hands so by the end of the day of hopping around, my hands, shoulders and across the back of my neck would be stiff.. However, after installing these short risers, it made the world of difference. I'm sitting more upright, and I now have a crook in my elbow and the weight is evenly distributed on the bars.. in other words, my hands are resting on the bars, not leaning into them. And, because the bars are now further away from the pivot point, you have better handling control over the bike.. I rode the bike for about 100 miles last night, in town, back roads and highway and I had to retrain myself on how it handles.. it is subtle but the confidence level is higher hitting those turns.. and slow riding in parking lots

The are super easy to install.. just make sure to protect your tank and be careful not to lose one of those button caps (oops).. The wire bundle tie downs attached to the bars need to come off to allow the bar to move freely. There riders WILL make contact with the cover cover shroud (plastic cover over the key ignition etc) but I'm told this is very normal and the plastic is flexible so no probs. However, if you have a CHROMED cover, it is not flexible and it will crack if using these risers.

Over all, inexpensive as far as risers go, and the easiest ones I had to install to day on any bike. And well worth it.

I've installed my Baron's 1.5" risers and what a difference those make.. better riding position.. and now, time to do the hand grips. The stock grips are too small for my large hands.. I know how to take the bar end weights off but how do you get the left side stock handle off? I saw somewhere in another message how this was done when I first got here but for the life of me I can't find that article? I'd love to change them out this morning so hopefully someone is up early today =)

Thanks in advance.

Cheers!

To get the left grip off all you need to do is work a small screw driver in around the grip and/or if you have compressed air just blow under the grip and it will loosen up and come off. If you don't care about saving the old grip a good sharp knife will take care of it too. Make sure you install the right grip first so you can match the left grip to it.

To get the left grip off all you need to do is work a small screw driver in around the grip and/or if you have compressed air just blow under the grip and it will loosen up and come off. If you don't care about saving the old grip a good sharp knife will take care of it too. Make sure you install the right grip first so you can match the left grip to it.

Thanks Gary, just got the job done.. cut it off.. I did have a big "ut oh" with the right one though lol.. it wouldn't go all the way up! I double checked the part number against what I had ordered and yep, it's the right one but wouldn't fit?! WTF? Oh.. remove the plastic spacer inside.. derrr.. apart from that a very easy install. I've never been one to glue to the left grip to the bar. The old glue and tight fit will keep it on there but yet still allow me to rotate the grip whilst riding.. nothing I hate more than a fixed grip.. Ever have one just a wee bit off and nothing you can do about it?

Now, to find that mod where you can re-attached the heavy bar weights back onto the bars.. I don't know how 'buzzy' the bars are going to be without them weights.

Thanks for the confirmation on how to do these.. much appreciated!!

Guest cwil2988

when I was a kid we used aqua net hair spray to glue bicycle grips on. if you needed to get them off, a hair dryer would let you do it. I never tried this on a big people bike though...

also congrats on the risers, my budy has em on his venture too. wish i could use them on the TD.

:detective:

Guest cwil2988

Barons has ends for these grips that resemble the factory bar ends. I am sure they don't have the weight, but myself, i like the extra length to lay my hands on when on a long ride, and the cruise is set

Thanks Gary, just got the job done.. cut it off.. I did have a big "ut oh" with the right one though lol.. it wouldn't go all the way up! I double checked the part number against what I had ordered and yep, it's the right one but wouldn't fit?! WTF? Oh.. remove the plastic spacer inside.. derrr.. apart from that a very easy install. I've never been one to glue to the left grip to the bar. The old glue and tight fit will keep it on there but yet still allow me to rotate the grip whilst riding.. nothing I hate more than a fixed grip.. Ever have one just a wee bit off and nothing you can do about it?

Now, to find that mod where you can re-attached the heavy bar weights back onto the bars.. I don't know how 'buzzy' the bars are going to be without them weights.

Thanks for the confirmation on how to do these.. much appreciated!!

I just put the Iso grips on mine and was thinking about doing the mod to return the weights to the ends. It looks easy enough with a good rotary tool, but I decided to ride for a bit. I have not noticed any appreciable change. I actually think its easier to corner, although I have adapted so quickly to no ends I could not really tell you one way or the other, so I have not made the mod.

Doc

I just put the Iso grips on mine and was thinking about doing the mod to return the weights to the ends. It looks easy enough with a good rotary tool, but I decided to ride for a bit. I have not noticed any appreciable change. I actually think its easier to corner, although I have adapted so quickly to no ends I could not really tell you one way or the other, so I have not made the mod.

Doc

They have what is called "Stiletto" ends which are currently on my VStar.. heavy suckers.. I'll be switching them over to see if the heavier weights make a difference.. But after a looong day's ride yesterday these ISO Grips were awesome.. =)