IGNORED

Passing Lamp Questions

The Yamaha passing lamps were already installed on the 05 venture I purchased. I have some questions still after reading previous posts.

1. The lamps have a toggle switch to kill them completely if desired but are on when the high beam light is on and off when low beam is on. My mechanic just told me that this was illegal in VA.

Do you run the passing lamps at the same time as the high beam? or Should I rewire them?

2. One of bulbs is burnt out, what is the best replacement bulb? Is there one brighter than stock and where is the best place to get them? Also, is there a brighter alternative to the headlight bulb while I'm at it?

3. Where can I find a spacer for the passing lamps to get them out from the fairing? I followed a link in a previous post and it said none were available via the classifieds.

Thanks

The Yamaha passing lamps were already installed on the 05 venture I purchased. I have some questions still after reading previous posts.

1. The lamps have a toggle switch to kill them completely if desired but are on when the high beam light is on and off when low beam is on. My mechanic just told me that this was illegal in VA.

Do you run the passing lamps at the same time as the high beam? or Should I rewire them?

2. One of bulbs is burnt out, what is the best replacement bulb? Is there one brighter than stock and where is the best place to get them? Also, is there a brighter alternative to the headlight bulb while I'm at it?

3. Where can I find a spacer for the passing lamps to get them out from the fairing? I followed a link in a previous post and it said none were available via the classifieds.

Thanks

Not sure why passing lights in conjunction with high beam would be illegal. After all, if use of the high beam is in order, why would extra light matter? Having been stationed in VA, it would not surprise me that VA has a law against passing lamps.

I run my passing lights all the time, except at night when behind several vehicles--their lights help ID foreign objects on the road. I rode for six years in Florida and now in Georgia, and my passing lamps have never been an issue with law enforcement. BTW, the lamps I use in my passing lamps are 70k candle power each @ 37.5 watts each. You can find them at J&P cycles, but you will have to search hard; for some reason they do not show up under their lights menus (at least that was true the last time I looked).

My passing lights are aimed to illuminate the road about 100-150 feet in front of me to help me ID road hazards. I'm not trying to light up the horizon. :) Common sense, however, dictates turning off the passing lamps when behind a police car at night. :no-no-no:

Hi Mike,

I obtained a neat machined polished aluminum spacer block which extends the Yamaha factory driving lights away from the RSV fairing cover about an inch so that you may easily remove the fairing cover without removing the light bar unit with all of it's problems. Adaptor was $24 from Dayton Tool Ltd. e-mail: daytontoolltd@shaw.ca (Tony Dathan- RSV Rider))

Many of our local Royal Star Venture riders have this spacer.

The 37 watt US-made 60,000 candlepower and narrower-beam 70,000 cp

halogen bulbs are sold from NAPA stores as "Wagner H7600 Signal bulbs"

and the carton is marked for "off-road lighting" as they are really bright and ideal for picking out deer and animals 'way ahead of you.

I bought the 60,000 cp bulbs for about $19 each at NAPA and they quickly install. (same mounting as stock sealed-beam 20,000 cp/30 watt driving light bulbs) These halogens I used on a separate switch ONLY on the rainswept or foggy highways and in backroads where deer, moose, caribou, bears may be in my way. Long-strong beam! If I encounter a lane-fixed jerk driver ahead then these pencil spotlights and flicking my regular headlight quickly moves the drivers to the outer slower lanes. If you want to be seen, they do work great! Try 'em soon./ Bilko

Thanks

Yes in the State of VA when you turn on your High beems your passing lamps should go off. However I am going to rewire them so they are on all the time. I was talking to a couple of state troopers and they think that the law is stupid here is the reason, If a car is in front of you or approaching you dim the high beam. When you go in for inspection just turn off the passing lamps They are not needed for inspection.