IGNORED

v-max heads direct fit on a 97 royal star????

Purchased a 97 RS with 26000mi and some burnt valves, I have a clean set of heads off an 88 vmax complete with valves springs cams everything. I know they will bolt... but I'm also know theirs got to be a few catches along the way. Any help is apriciated, I also want to use my stock carbs and was planing on using the big air kit but I'm still not sure this will be enough to feed the new demand for air... my main concerns are intake and exhaust on the vmax heads compared to the RS heads

• 2 weeks later...

I know people swap in the Vmax cams direct no problem.Its been a while since I have been on here but know this has been discussed. searching will probably be faster than waiting for an answer. I know Pegscraper has done some engine mods (PM him) and so have several others. Gary (tweety? can recall his screen name exactly) put Vmax parts including Vboost in a first gen venture and was working on hopping up a royal star also. He is knowledgeable about the fitment differences between the various years of the V4. You can get some more HP out of the 97 motors, but may be just as easy to swap in a used 05 and up royal star engine complete which gets you from 62 to 98 HP plus they also put the balance shaft back in.

Putting VMax heads on will cause MAJOR exhaust issues primarily. 2nd gen heads are angled at exhaust port, so the tubes turn and go outside the frame, back each side where they tie to rear exhaust.

VMax & 1st gen direct the flow out of the heads, then the pipes run between the frame rails, under the motor, then tie into rear pipes, then exit under from under the motor near the shock(s).

Connecting the 2 diagonal cylinders into one muffler on each side is the best for power die to scavenging in exhaust.

2nd gen frame required some significant cutting and welding on frame. Front motor mount was extensively reworked.

Put VMax cams & springs in stock heads,

Gary