IGNORED

Faring Installation

For Christmas I got a Stealth fairing from eBay. I have been working on it for the last few weeks and 3 different configurations. I finally have the final setup complete. Thanks to DarrenGT for his posts when he updated his 97. Also thanks to Freebird for his post on installing gauges.

The fairing was finished in black gelcoat so painting was not necessary. First I did a test fit. I had to modify the mount plates because the fairing was originally for a Road Star.

I began to mock up the inner shell to mount the SharkAudio 600w radio and speakers. I used DarrenGT’s setup as a start. After mockup, my plan was to fill the original radio hole and cut a new one to fit the Shark. I had some sign plastic that I used to create a template. It fit so well I attached it by putting it behind the face of the radio. This allowed me to install the radio and speakers and do a road test. Everything worked well, however I was very disappointed with the radio sound. A radio change was necessary. More to come..........

IMG_2292.jpg

IMG_2301 (Small).jpg

IMG_2299 (Small).jpg

IMG_2298 (Small).jpg

This started the second configuration. I ordered a Pioneer head unit with Bluetooth and aux input. SharkAudio was very good about the return. I just had to pay shipping. I hadn’t modified the fairing, so the cutout for the radio only needed minor sanding to fit right in. I didn’t get any pictures with just the new radio so I’ll move on to the final setup.

I ordered an electric oil pressure and water temp gauges from amazon. I also ordered a digital voltmeter with 12v power port and dual USB charger. I fiber glassed the original holes in the fairing to allow space to install the gauges. The next step was to create a template to locate everything. I started with brown paper and then cut it out of plastic. I hadn’t received the voltmeter, power port or USB so those holes will be drilled later.

IMG_2335 (Custom).JPG

IMG_2337 (Small).jpg

IMG_2340 (Small).jpg

IMG_2342 (Small).jpg

IMG_2344 (Small).jpg

IMG_2346 (Small).jpg

IMG_2351 (Small).jpg

I finished sanding the inner shell and painted it with primer. About then the mail came and I got the volt meter and power plugs. I drilled the holes and painted it satin black. Final assembly of the shell is now complete. I then focused on the sending units. I had bought the plugs form O’Reiley’s Freebird recommended in his gauge post. One note to update Don’s instructions. The plug for the water temp sender needs to be ground to fit in the recess the original plug came from. I also used a copper crush gasket . I found more space under the front frame covers to mount the oil sender. I fabricated the bracket from a pallet banding strap. It’s attached to the mount bolt that holds the bracket for the front airbox mount. Only 5 wires are necessary to power everything in the fairing. (12v constant, 12v ignition, ground, water temp and oil pressure) I found a waterproof 6 pin automotive plug at the junkyard that allows me to remove the fairing like DarrenGT. I also installed 2 switches. The one on the right will kill power to the fairing. (just in case) The one on the right will turn off the voltmeter. All my lights on the dash are blue except the voltmeter. I replaced the gauge lights with blue LED’s.

IMG_2368 (Small).jpg

IMG_2366 (Small).jpg

IMG_2367 (Small).jpg

IMG_2354 (Small).jpg

IMG_2359 (Small).jpg

IMG_2355 (Small).jpg

photo (Small).JPG

IMG_2361 (Small).jpg

I used a flat antenna for my 900 Vulcan when I put a fairing and radio on it. It was under the fairing like yours. Dont expect to much reception wise. Heck even the RSV dont get very good reception for the big ole stick in back. Realisticly on a trip youl probably use an MP3 player or pandora off the phone or something. I use the radio around town or once we get to an area find a station so you can get local weather.

I will have to say you have a really nice looking piece there. Hope it works well for you.