IGNORED

After market driving lights

Skeeter

I use a $30 kit from Wal-Mart. It is rated at 30W x 2.

The lights are mounted low on my crash bars because I wanted additional light up close and on the ground.

They work well in the city, not so well in the country because the glare blinds view of the distance.

The lights came with a switch and a relay. The switch is not water tight and has quit when wet.

I am presently thinking about the new LED driving lights offered at Wal-mart. They draw very low current from the battery.

Skeeter, I think the type of lights would depend upon whether you want more visibilty for cars to see you, or more flood or spot lights for night driving. Maybe a little of both.

For me, It was more along the lines of wanting people to see me easier. I already added a pair of WalMart lights ($20) to my VStar 950T, swapping out the 55watt bulbs for 30watt as the 950 charging system isn't robust enough for that much current. They seem to be doing the trick as I haven't had any issues since I put them on(knock on wood). I also put a small screw into each lens to make sure they didn't pop off as they are held on with a dimple.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Optronics-55w-Pair-Driving-Light-Kit/16680058

IMG_20130607_193637_672.jpg

As you can see, the lower wattage bulbs are plenty bright. They do add light to the sides of the road at night as well... as I have them aimed that way just enough to catch the eyes of drivers on side streets.

I'm now researching driving lights for my 89 1st Gen VR. May use the same lights as well but leave them at 55 watts. Haven't figured out where to mount them yet which is the holdup. Because the switches are poor quality, I would hard wire the lights to the battery through a relay so they are on all the time the ignition is on, as I did with the 950.

If you want pure down the road light, suggest a good halogen or LED light proven for that use. $200 each will buy you very strong LED driving lights. These are cool...

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/316/d/utv-lighting#&&SearchParameters=42-1021-0-0-0-1-24-1-6_1-2_956

Hope this helps...

david

Edited by videoarizona
add info

On my 1st gen I have the KC HiLiTES, 35 series 775 3x5 Black 55w Wide Beam Driving Light System.

These are focused in between a driving light and a fog light, The lens is even angled out a bit to help side illumination. I got them because they do an excellent job of lighting up the sides of the road to see the deer coming while they are still in the woods.

One of my plans for the winter is to convert these to 35W HID.

Skeeter, are you talking about passing type light kit at the $250 price or driving type lights? At this point in time on these bikes anyways a fellow is well advised to add LED or HID lighting because of the already known electrical issues. As someone mentioned type of beam and use needs to be known for some suggestions. I have been looking at additional lights like these and mount them on the forks maybe. 768737206_tp.jpg

Also you have to check specs carefully, There are some LED lights out now that actually draw MORE power than the halogens they would replace.

You can no longer make the assumption that LED = low amp draw.

That's good to know. Are they generally the cheaper ones out or is this something common to see?

Actually is usually the more expensive ones that draw more power, but are using that power for more light.

I am not saying that the higher power LEDs are good or bad, just that if your reason to switch to LED is to save power, check the specs carefully before you buy.

Here is the listing off the site.

• Color:Black/Silver
  • Material: Aluminum alloy
  • Light Power: 30W
  • Actual Power: 9~12W
  • Environment Temperature: -40 ~ +40 ℃
  • Flux: 1200LM/W
  • Input voltage AC·DC: ±12 ~ 60V Universal
  • Light Color: White
  • Temperature Protection: when the internal temperature exceeds the rated temperature, it will be automatically reduced to low light to work.
  • Advantages: low power consumption, good waterproof effect, headlight life no maintenance, environmental protection.

JMHO, mounting lights lower does not necessarily give better lighting. The beam will soon run out of distance. Also, the light will be harder for others to identify if mounted too low. There is an optimum distance from the ground for lights to be effective, but I can't remember what that is, probably around 24-36 inches or so. If mounted too low you need to point the beam up, and that tends to blind the oncoming driver,,,, never a good idea to blind an oncoming driver as 'he' would be the one to take you out because of it.

Thanks for all the info guys. This is great! Here is a link to the ones I saw on ebay for $250.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Yamaha-Royal-Star-Venture-Driving-Light-Kit-/261658526010?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3cec10413a&vxp=mtr

I'm primarily looking for visibility but I would also like more light for these dark country roads in Western NY. There are a lot of beady little green eyes waiting in the darkness.

I really like the look of the Yamaha OEM driving light kit and I think this is a pretty good price, but there are several listed on ebay "From China" that are in the $50 to $60 price range... just wondering if anyone has any experience with the cheap ones.

Skeeter

Personaly no, and I have helped a couple guys look for the passing type light bars on ebay. I have yet to find one of those 50-70 light bars that actually will fit the RSV. A fellow I have talked to on another forum had a Tour Deluxe. He could find the knock off for it on ebay. He said his was a little over a year old and chrome was rusting, which I had heard of other chrome stuff from China.

• 4 weeks later...
Skeeter, are you talking about passing type light kit at the $250 price or driving type lights? At this point in time on these bikes anyways a fellow is well advised to add LED or HID lighting because of the already known electrical issues. As someone mentioned type of beam and use needs to be known for some suggestions. I have been looking at additional lights like these and mount them on the forks maybe. [ATTACH=CONFIG]95577[/ATTACH]

Did you buy these? Which number are they in your link?

Thanks