IGNORED

Wider tip-over engine guards?

azxvz1284

I think you should worry that wider bars will interfere with turning and we all need a tight turn sometimes. I'm wondering why you tip over so much that you are anxious to find an alternate method but that may be just a mis-read of your post. Did you forget the kickstand in the garage?

There are videos of using leg strength to push up a bike - don't use arms and back. Maybe it is worth a little controlled practice.

And while the old rubric that you shouldn't ride a bike you can't pick up applies, the leg push method means most of us can ride these heavy bikes and get it upright in most circumstances. That said, I've been surprised by the number of people who suddenly appeared to help right my bike when it went down.

I was at a Victory demo day a couple of years ago and they deliberately dropped the Vision to demonstrate the guards and ease of righting it.

I've had to upright my RSV more time than I'd like to admit. Only once did I need assistance. Sloping pavement, the cause of the spill, made it much more difficult to lift. I sat and waited, a bypasser pulled over and assisted. A long time cyclist, had been there and done that and was happy to help.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't know about wider bars but taller maybe? or maybe taller and they get wider as they go up ( see some of the new victry and other bikes). First it helps protect bike and rider in event of unnatural contact with pavement. Second if the bike can't or doesn't fall as far (wider at top) you have less distance to pick up. I've been thinking of the same thing myself. I have a friend who bends smaller stainless up to 2" tubing in his shop. Added advantage of taller wider bars, more place to mount lights and cup holder (see harley)

I don't know about wider bars but taller maybe? or maybe taller and they get wider as they go up ( see some of the new victry and other bikes). First it helps protect bike and rider in event of unnatural contact with pavement. Second if the bike can't or doesn't fall as far (wider at top) you have less distance to pick up. I've been thinking of the same thing myself. I have a friend who bends smaller stainless up to 2" tubing in his shop. Added advantage of taller wider bars, more place to mount lights and cup holder (see harley)

If I can see a sketch and the mount plates have the corresponding attachment holes, I could be in on a buy.

Thanks,

Richard in AZ

I had the same problem on a dirt road in Pine this summer, Richard. Walked her backwards to turn around and backed into a driveway...there was a dip...and when I put my feet down to stabilize the bike...nothing but air. Down she went on left side...all the way on the side. Took two of us...pushing with everything we had to get her back up.

Granted that was a downhill fall...but still. I might have been able to get her up if she was 6 more inches up. Wider engine guards would have done that. My VStar 950T has wide bars and they don't get in the way of turns, but you can lay the bike over and she sits nice and pretty on the guard. Easy to pick up and she weighs over 650 pounds!

Besides that, I wasn't pleased with the way the upper fairing was "sanded" down to the joint by the incident.

I think I would willingly save my pennies for wider guards and a lifting bracket like Carbon One makes here for 2nd generation bikes...

david

Edited by videoarizona
Clarification

I had the same problem on a dirt road in Pine this summer, Richard. Walked her backwards to turn around and backed into a driveway...there was a dip...and when I put my feet down to stabilize the bike...nothing but air. Down she went on left side...all the way on the side. Took two of us...pushing with everything we had to get her back up.

Granted that was a downhill fall...but still. I might have been able to get her up if she was 6 more inches up. Wider engine guards would have done that. My VStar 950T has wide bars and they don't get in the way of turns, but you can lay the bike over and she sits nice and pretty on the guard. Easy to pick up and she weighs over 650 pounds!

Besides that, I wasn't pleased with the way the upper fairing was "sanded" down to the joint by the incident.

I think I would willingly save my pennies for wider guards and a lifting system like is made here for V2's...

david

"V2's..." You talking about the Victory Vision?

Richard in AZ

If she can do it, so can you!

I think they like making these videos to make some of us feel bad. Using this method works great for those that are vertically challenged, but for a lot of us getting our ass down low enough and getting leverage to lift ain't all that easy. It's one thing to lift with legs that are partially bent versus legs that are completely bent. For tall fat guys like me...forget it.... That's why I carry a 6:1 block and tackle and a length of rope in the saddle. Makes picking one up easier....

doing some checking and measuring. Gonna try and hit the bone yard first and see if there's anything "off the shelf" that may be close. Several aftermarket bars I've seen look like they may be close.

Also in conjunction with taller engine guard or front crash bar, would a larger (comes out a little further and taller) rear bag guard be beneficial. I'm thinking the two guards working together may keep the big at a higher angle when dropped. This serves two issues, older bigger guys who don't fold so easy in the middle (like me) won't have to bend as far, also may help reduce damage to bike, rider and passenger

• 3 months later...