IGNORED

GW Problem - Air gets into rear brake system

Eck

Here is another issue I have had with my wing for over a year now.

Hopefully this will help someone out there who runs into the same problem.

My rear brake system kept getting air into the system, yet I did not notice any loss in brake fluid and if there was it was very little.

WHAT you ask, how can that be...How can air get into the system and yet your not loosing any fluid? Well, like I said, if it was leaking fluid, I could not see /find "where" and every time I had to bleed the rear brakes the rear master was always seemed to be full.

I spent months looking for a darn leak, swapped out the rear caliper with one off a 2012 GW, and I even removed all the brake pads inspecting for signs of brake fluid in calipers /pistons and on brake pads themselves, and countless times bleeding the rear brakes, which in my case, consisted of bleeding ONLY the top bleeder on the rear caliper. I never got air out of the lower rear caliper bleeder just the top one.

Well today, I decided to swap out the secondary master cylinder (which is located above the left front caliper) and bleed the entire brake system completely.

So, after I removed the old secondary master, I noticed there was fluid spots on the inside / backside, Far-side, OK, I will call it the "tire side" of the master cylinder. The fluid spots were not able to be seen just by looking at the secondary master cylinder without removing it.

Sure enough, it was leaking brake fluid, and now I really feel this was my root cause of having air seeping into the brake system.

I could, but wont test ride it now due to it is raining, so I spent the rest of the day cleaning and waxing her up.

Now I will wait for some nice weather and take her out for a test ride..

I can tell already that my front brake lever is a LOT different (way better) then it has ever been.

The rear peddle feels like it is right there on first stroke so hopefully I found and solved the problem.

If you have a problem with your GW of getting air into the rear brake system and cant see where the leak is, I strongly suggest you remove the front wheel and then you will be able to visually see and inspect the inside surface area of the secondary master cylinder.

I say to remove the front wheel because I think this is far easier to do than to break apart two brake lines to remove the secondary master only to find out that it may NOT be leaking. Then you would have to bleed the entire brake system. It is a lot easier to just reinstall the front wheel and move on to other possibilities.

I feel my GW is now 100% with everything working like it should and is ready to ride all year now with that utmost confidence..!!

Edit: Wanted to add this tid bit of info: You will need a #40 torx socket to remove the secondary master cylinder. The torx bolt has RED loc-tight on it from the factory and it is common for the person who is removing this torx bolt to strip the nut that is welded on the back. I "wiggled" the torx back and forth a few times as I was removing it.. Break it loose, then tighten it a little, break it loose a little farther than you did the first time, and then tighten it up a little and continue doing this until it is removed.

Edited by Eck

When I bought my wing, I was instructed to leave it in the shop while they did a fix on the air pressure do wacky on the instrument panel, and the chip for the navigation did not come with the bike, I had to order it ( free ) from the parts dept.

So basically, they would not do any service work on a bike or car, unless some one bought it, then they'd get paid for doing to service. Real F******** nice!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

OK, test ride proved to be a failure...It was NOT the secondary master cylinder causing air to get into my rear brake line..The only thing left is the rear master cylinder and that part is presently under a Honda recall for all Goldwing 1800's...and Honda does not have a fix for it ...yet...

Eck,

I think that recall does not include the 2012 and up models, I have had no notice of a recall on my 2013 GW.

So one has to ask , what did they do different starting in 2012 that does avoids the issue that causes the recall?

Whay can't they put 2012 parts on the affect bikes?

I am sure it cannot be that simple.

Eck,

I think that recall does not include the 2012 and up models, I have had no notice of a recall on my 2013 GW.

So one has to ask , what did they do different starting in 2012 that does avoids the issue that causes the recall?

Whay can't they put 2012 parts on the affect bikes?

I am sure it cannot be that simple.

Honda Motor Co. is recalling 126,000 Gold Wing motorcycles for a second time because a recall the first time failed to adequately fix a fault in the braking system.

All Honda's GL-1800 motorcycles built for model years 2001-2010 and 2012 are subject to the recall notice.

The problem is once again a secondary brake master cylinder, which apparently fails to completely release the rear caliper after the brakes have been applied.

This can cause the rear brake to drag, which at the worst could cause a crash or fire.

Honda Says Complaints Received

Honda said it had received 533 complaints through July 24, 2014, including reports of eight small fires. There have been no reports of crashes or injuries as a result of the problem.

Honda had originally recalled the same motorcycles in December 2011 to fix the same problem, but the company says it continued to receive complaints.

It states in documents filed with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration that the "root cause has not been determined" and it is continuing to investigate.

GL-1800 Owners Notified by Mail

Honda says it will send a letter to each GL 1800 owner explaining how to identify the problem. Motorcycles with the defect can be taken to the dealer for inspection.

If the fault is confirmed, owners will get a second letter when repairs and replacement parts are available.

Here’s a chronology issued by Honda of the problems with the Gold Wing’s back brakes:

December 2, 2011 Honda issued recall 11V-567.

April 5, 2012 Honda received a claim of the rear brake dragging after the recall repair and began investigation.

June 12, 2012 The reoccurrence claim was believed to be a result of contamination, possibly due to improperly flushed brake fluid, and an investigation was started for the contaminated brake fluid.

July-Sept. 2012 Precipitate within the brake fluid was confirmed and analyzed.

February 2013 Honda sent motorcycle dealers a reminder on how to properly perform the recall repair.

May-October 2013 Honda received four claims involving rear brake fires occurring after

recall repair.

October 19, 2013 AHM submitted an updated analysis proposal to Honda in Japan.

February 2014 Analysis found that no contaminants were present in the brake fluid of vehicles with alleged fires and analysis into other components continued.

July 24, 2014 Honda determined that a safety defect exists and decided to conduct a safety recall in North America. Root cause has not been determined at this time and analysis and investigation is ongoing.

OK, so I was off by 1 year, the question remains, what is it about the systems that are not included in the recall?

Presumably 2013 and up are not affected, because they are not on the recall list?

Is it that 2013 owners and above have not reported the issue on dragging brakes so they have not been included?

I realize you will not have those answers, but it seems to be a fairly logical question to ask, I expect Honda does not have an answer for that either.

I will swing by local Honda dealer and see if the service manager has any answers, he pretty good and usually on top of things.

American Honda Motors has released the fix for the auto-ignition of the rear brake system. The repair involves the simple placement of a label on the shaft formerly known as "The Rear Brake Pedal". The label says, "BBQ Grill Starter". The BBQ Grill Starter Shaft should only be used to start fires, any other use of this shaft, such as trying to use it to stop the motorcycle, is not authorized or warranted by American Honda Motors.

smokeem.jpg

Smoke em if ya got em. Marshmallows anyone?

:stickpoke::bikersmilie:

Edited by Du-Rron