IGNORED

Remote Start on 1800 GLs

M61A1MECH

Found this post over on the Delphi Goldwing II forum.

Have not tried it, cannot vouch for it, just thought I would pass it along.

Not sure I have a need for it here in Florida, but may do it just to check it out one day.

Cross posted from GL1800Riders.com

GL1800 Remote Starter Feature

Being that it’s too cold to ride, I figured I’d take the Wing in for a checkup. While it was in the service department, I had a rare opportunity to hang out with the mechanic as he did the requested service and he shared with me a feature of the Wing that I never knew was there. He said he’s seen it on the ‘net but I never have so I thought I’d post it for those of you that don’t already know about it.

The 1800 has a remote start feature that utilizes the remote key fob. Once it is programmed it works really well. Nice for those of us in the colder climates, the bike will be warmed up when I get to it. I won’t have to sit there and warm it up so it doesn’t stumble as I pull away. The mechanic said that Honda was planning on having it as a feature but with everyone being so lawsuit happy they backed away from having it in case a sensor switch went bad or something and allowed the bike to start in gear. (damned lawyers ruin everything) So, instead it is an “unsupported feature”. There is no warranty coverage on this feature, officially it doesn’t exist. Sort of like the opening ceremony option.

Anyway, he did mine for me but I wrote down the program sequence to pass along.

Here it is….

With the key in the LOCKED position and the trunk open, press the CALL button on the remote. When the horn sounds press UNLOCK.. Immediately press CALL again. When the horn sounds hit UNLOCK. Hit CALL one more time and as soon as the horn sounds, latch (close) the trunk and within 3 seconds turn the key to the ON position.

When correctly completed, the CALL button becomes the REMOTE START button. Resetting the ECU or disconnecting the battery resets the CALL button to its previous function and the process will need to be repeated to make it work again.

The bike must be on the center stand in neutral and the fork must be locked for this feature to work. Once the bike is running, you must insert your key and turn the ignition switch to ON before you take the bike off the center stand or it will immediately kill.

Works great! Try it, you’ll like it.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I read this post a while back, but one thing caught my attention as I read it again this time.

The 2nd to last sentence in post #1 above states: you must insert your key and turn the ignition switch to ON before you take the bike off the center stand or it will immediately kill.

How can this be for there are no electronics what-so-ever (a switch) associated with the center stand? How does taking the bike off the center stand kill it?

I can see inserting the key and turning the ignition to the on position (as the last required step to set up the auto start programing), but taking the bike off,or even putting the bike on the center stand doesn't make any sense to me at all, but I am willing to learn more about this.