IGNORED

first gen am/fm power indicator on but no display

OutKast

Pull the radio console again and check if the cassette deck has come unplugged. Also verify that all 4 DIN connectors on the main chassis are plugged in completely.

If you know anybody with a 1st. gen. Venture, swap control units and see which half has problems.

Outkast,

I had the same issue happen today. Little LED light is on, but no power to radio or tape deck. All I get is crackling of amp through speakers when I turn unit on/off. Amp and amp controller is working fine ...as my aux input sends audio through amp system.

I pulled all parts of the unit apart...everything looks good. No broken wires, etc.. There "may" be a crack on the tape deck circuit board right near the multipin connector that goes to the radio. But sure doesn't look like its broken ... looks more like a scratch.

I'm stumped too!

Grr....:bang head:

Maybe it's time to put in a new radio with CD! IF I was handier, I would yank the radio and tape unit and build a mounting system for a new radio!!

david

Edited by videoarizona
clarification

Ok....take 2. Non-progress report:

1: No 12 volts to the radio display or the tape deck.

2: Green light that indicates panel power is on.

3: Of the three modules, tape deck, radio control and amp control...only amp control and intercom work.

4: If I unplug tape deck and add the VentureLink module, the mp3 player can be heard through the system amp and the volume/tone controls work fine.

5: Lacking a 12 volt power supply to bench test each unit but found I can run the system while connected to bike if I take off the panel the removable audio system screws to. I can lift this away enough to keep the main connections on, supplying power, etc., while I test the main components. BUT...not fun trying to test while holding the whole thing. So...not much can be tested.

Checked:

1: Main two multi-pin plugs. No bent pins, no pushed in pins. All clean. No broken wires underneath. Doubt this is the problem.

2: Took tape deck apart. Nothing broken or fried that I can see. Clean inside. Dual capstan unit...well built!

3: Took radio control apart. Little circuit boards looks fine, no broken parts can be seen.

4: All connectors between the three modules are clean and look fine.

Bottom line...can find no reason why 12 volts is not getting to the radio control or the tape deck. No additional fuses found in system.

Trying to follow schematic....but that isn't easy without a high quality printout for my eyes! Scrolling while trying to follow a signal path isn't much fun.

I'm reasonably good with electrics...having built a radio station control room and a few other fun things in TV as well. But this has me stumped... so far.

Another Cup-O-Joe and back to the drawing board...

Edited by videoarizona
Add

Went to EBay and put in "Yamaha Radio" as a search string. After trying Venture Royale type words...

Found five pages of stuff...but some real gems in there. For anyone looking for parts for their 1st or 2nd gen Venture, there is a lot of stuff there...just scroll through all the obvious Yamaha radio stuff and newer handlebar mount stuff that doesn't pertain to us.

But no Venture radio mounting panels from third party vendors.

Ok....take 2. Non-progress report:

1: No 12 volts to the radio display or the tape deck.

2: Green light that indicates panel power is on.

3: Of the three modules, tape deck, radio control and amp control...only amp control and intercom work.

4: If I unplug tape deck and add the VentureLink module, the mp3 player can be heard through the system amp and the volume/tone controls work fine.

5: Lacking a 12 volt power supply to bench test each unit but found I can run the system while connected to bike if I take off the panel the removable audio system screws to. I can lift this away enough to keep the main connections on, supplying power, etc., while I test the main components. BUT...not fun trying to test while holding the whole thing. So...not much can be tested.

Checked:

1: Main two multi-pin plugs. No bent pins, no pushed in pins. All clean. No broken wires underneath. Doubt this is the problem.

2: Took tape deck apart. Nothing broken or fried that I can see. Clean inside. Dual capstan unit...well built!

3: Took radio control apart. Little circuit boards looks fine, no broken parts can be seen.

4: All connectors between the three modules are clean and look fine.

Bottom line...can find no reason why 12 volts is not getting to the radio control or the tape deck. No additional fuses found in system.

Trying to follow schematic....but that isn't easy without a high quality printout for my eyes! Scrolling while trying to follow a signal path isn't much fun.

I'm reasonably good with electrics...having built a radio station control room and a few other fun things in TV as well. But this has me stumped... so far.

Another Cup-O-Joe and back to the drawing board...

Here is a Yamaha Audio Troubleshooting Guide. Perhaps it will help.

General Audio Troubleshooting.pdf

This was an interesting test. I get YES all across the front line, saying amp is bad. But I also get a YES to hearing the relay click (and speaker crackle) when turning on tuner with intercom off, saying the tuner is bad.

BUT THEN I WENT TO THE NEXT TEST. WHEN I PUSHED THE STOP BUTTON ON THE CASSETTE THE TUNER CAME ON. WOOOOO HOOOO

How this got activated by hitting a pothole is somewhat a mystery. My boy likes to climb on it and push buttons but I never use the cassette and the weather cover is on it. Anyway all is well in my world now. Hope videoarizona gets somewhere.

Here is a Yamaha Audio Troubleshooting Guide. Perhaps it will help.

After chatting with PO Kitty, she left a Bon Jovi tape in there. The auto reverse does not work. It was at the end. When I hit the pothole it bottomed out and the tape dropped down and engaged the player. But since at end of tape it did not play.

I'll sure be glad to get them progressives installed.

Progress report Take 3:

Found two traces broken on the circuit board of the cassette. What clued me in was after taking out the three screws holding the board down, I started to gently pull up on board and it flexed! So I took a magnifying glass and found near the top center of the board there is a solder joint holding the board down and the board was cracked there across two traces. I put the screws back in and was able to drop some solder in the teeny gap of one trace. Had to run a wire from one solder point to the next nearest. Obviously, one of those traces was 12volts!

When I did that the lights on the radio remote panel came on and the radio worked. The tape deck also now runs but I obviously have another trace broken as no music comes out, just a feedback type low sound. I'm fine with that for now. I've heard that problem before somewhere back in the distant past...I can trace that later.

NOW...I knew the audio signal had to route through the tape deck for the radio to work. I did NOT know the 12volts had to run through the deck and back to the radio section for it to work as well. I'm not so sure about Yamaha's thinking behind that...but for now I'm going to leave that thought be.

Weird for the system to break like that....considering how clean the electronics are. The P.O. did take care of the bike for the most part...I'm thankful for that!

So partial success! And guess when I thought of taking pictures, after I buttoned up the cassette. Sorry...

david

Hmmmmmmm. so i just can't unplug the tape player and pull it out and still have everything else work like I did on my second gen?

Progress report Take 3:

Found two traces broken on the circuit board of the cassette. What clued me in was after taking out the three screws holding the board down, I started to gently pull up on board and it flexed! So I took a magnifying glass and found near the top center of the board there is a solder joint holding the board down and the board was cracked there across two traces. I put the screws back in and was able to drop some solder in the teeny gap of one trace. Had to run a wire from one solder point to the next nearest. Obviously, one of those traces was 12volts!

When I did that the lights on the radio remote panel came on and the radio worked. The tape deck also now runs but I obviously have another trace broken as no music comes out, just a feedback type low sound. I'm fine with that for now. I've heard that problem before somewhere back in the distant past...I can trace that later.

NOW...I knew the audio signal had to route through the tape deck for the radio to work. I did NOT know the 12volts had to run through the deck and back to the radio section for it to work as well. I'm not so sure about Yamaha's thinking behind that...but for now I'm going to leave that thought be.

Weird for the system to break like that....considering how clean the electronics are. The P.O. did take care of the bike for the most part...I'm thankful for that!

So partial success! And guess when I thought of taking pictures, after I buttoned up the cassette. Sorry...

david

Progress report Take 4:

Found 4 more broken traces! Magnifying glass is my friend! Wired them point to point. Not pretty but at least there is progress. Left channel works...no right. The traces for right channel and common channel and ground all look fine. Real paying work has come to this retired guys edit system, so I have to leave my fun work for real work!

I did re-install everything with VentureLink connected...so now have radio, 1/2 of tape deck, phone and mp3player plus bluetooth capabilities now. So I guess I'm ahead on points! Grins.

OutKast, nope. You will need to make a dummy plug with two pins connected to let the radio know it's ok to play. A few bux for the DIN plug and a few minutes of time. I don't remember which two pins...but it's in the previous messages in maybe a dozen places...and I'm sure someone will jump in with the answer as well!