IGNORED

Headset suggestions

turtle

We have purchased a 99 rsv and are looking at headsets never had any before. I am looking at a HTC IS MAX I I modular helmet and the wife is looking same style. I would like to be able to use the cb and possible smart phone for music and navigation when needed but also use the radio too. If someone has any suggestions I would appreciate any thoughts :confused24:

The standard so to speak headset is probably the J&M standard 5 pin. Fit most goldwings and earlier Harleys. I have not looked in awhile but I think if you look around and shop you can pick them up under $100 each. Seems to me about 80 or 85. Whith that being said, you can not use the smart phone without an adapter that will pobably run around $50. Buddy rich here was selling them at one time also edsets I think has one, but you have to have a gps that has bluetooth. Knowing what I do now, the cables I have bought and built I would go with something like the Sena smh 10 or 20. You wouldnt gettheuse of CB but not a big deal in my world. But there is a work around for that also. But thats in another thread in the GPS threads.

I got like the standard headsets and speaker quality is not great. I ended up building a cable so I could plug in earbuds along with the headsets so I could actually hear the wife clear. Maybe the upgraded speakers would be better, I dont know.

I have the standard speakers on the J&M's as well. Speakers aren't great but the system is very well made. Got the patch cord too....they are proud of it.

I also bought an adapter to go on the end of the 5pin at the tank. It's a 5pin pass through with a stereo mini-jack added. Allows me to: 1: use ear buds and still use the J&M mic. 2: Add an mp3 player using the helmet speakers or bike speakers. They are very proud of them as well...but I got a much better price...

Earinc/Insta-Mold - Motorcycle DIN plug and USB Bluetooth adapters

I chose J&M because of their build quality and how they stand behind their products. Owner rides...so he knows what's what...

david

I'm in the market also soon. Want to get a good set. I don't care about the phone though people can wait. Kind of hard of hearing so will have to have clear sound.

The problem with clear sound, in my opinion, is the helmet. Most helmets have way to much wind noise...so any speakers don't sound that great anyway. My J&M's aren't the best and they sound great at slow speed and sitting still. But then so does the speakers on the bike! You could buy a cheap pair of Sony headphones at WallyWorld,$20 or so....break them apart and stick them in the helmet with double sided tape or velcro...and try out the concept. I did that with my el cheapo helmet. Works almost as good as the $300 I invested in the J&M system with it's mic and cables.

For best sound...Etymotic Research has ear buds that go in the ear canal and isolate the outside noise....as well as provide excellent sound. If you can wear ear buds....and I do when I don't need to talk to riding buddy...they are very good!

They have a new low cost version out: Etymotic Research | mc5 Earphones

I'm in the market also soon. Want to get a good set. I don't care about the phone though people can wait. Kind of hard of hearing so will have to have clear sound.

In our case we have two sets of helmets ( 1 set of shorties and 1 set of Modulars). They are all wired with the J&M units I mentioned in my previous post. In the Modular helmets the sound is fair to good as a result of the noise generated by and within the helmet. In the shorty helmets, we have zip-in ear pockets and neck protectors for the speakers and end up with the speakers closer to the ear and less wind noise with the resulting better quality in sound. We do not have to put the volume as high with the shorties. As far as the microphones, its the reverse, we get less wind interference with the Modulars than with the Shorties where the mic is fully exposed to the wind. Hope this helps.....

Well earbuds dont always fit well in helmets. For me the Sony ones I got work good. Good sound and don't hurt my ear canal. For the wife she struggled all the time. Would pull them out or they would fall out on rides. SO I got here a pair of these. They fit well, conform to the ears and knock out external noise like wind. As mentioned before I run in addition to the OEM 5 pin cable an audio out 3.5mm so I can plug these in. If I am wearing the shorty solo I just plug the ear buds in. There are different styles also if you like the shooting style ear plugs.

If anybody wants a cable like mine I can build you one.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm new here, with new to me 07 RSTD. The bike has stock pipes, and is pretty quiet. I'm interested in something that allows me to take a phone call, either using blue tooth or through speakers. I also use 3 different helmets, depending on weather. So...I hate to buy 3 different head sets. Moving them around is not really convenient, since I may switch helmets at a glance of the forecast.

Being able to play tunes would be nice too.

What do you suggest?

Thanks, Dan

Dear @oconeedan:

I'm new here as well.

When riding, the one thing that really *&^$%# off is watching cagers text, talk on the phone, eat hamburgers, etc... while attempting to drive. They are so preoccupied, they do not even know that I saw them.

So... it is for that reason that I am trying to discourage bikers from finding a way ... to talk on the phone .... while riding.

Please enjoy the scenery, and your ride and try not to let the world encroach on your very private time while riding and trying to stay alive. The outside world does not have the right to be in contact with you 24/7. I would like to re-elevate the time allotted to riding to be of the same importance as say... having sex.

When having sex, I doubt you would continue to do what your doing and at the same time -take a phone call-.

If you have to be in contact with the outside world 24/7, just stop every so often and check your missed messages.

Edited by Du-Rron

Dear @oconeedan:

I'm new here as well.

When riding, the one thing that really *&^$%# off is watching cagers text, talk on the phone, eat hamburgers, etc... while attempting to drive. They are so preoccupied, they do not even know that I saw them.

So... it is for that reason that I am trying to discourage bikers from finding a way ... to talk on the phone .... while riding.

Please enjoy the scenery, and your ride and try not to let the world encroach on your very private time while riding and trying to stay alive. The outside world does not have the right to be in contact with you 24/7. I would like to re-elevate the time allotted to riding to be of the same importance as say... having sex.

When having sex, I doubt you would continue to do what your doing and at the same time -take a phone call-.

If you have to be in contact with the outside world 24/7, just stop every so often and check your missed messages.

This is actually one of my peeves. I can't tell you how many times I see someone pass me, and they are looking at their phone, and not the road.

I used to beep my horns, but later realized I'm better off just staying away from them.

However, it doesn't bother me to see someone talking "to themself" with a hands free phone.

I ride an hour and 10 minutes from work. Each way, every day. I have logged over 100,000 miles in less than 4 years.

Numerous times, I would like to take an incoming call. Since I can't, I usually spend quite a while after I am home, returning the calls. I have been listening to "pipes only" for years. Now I have a quieter bike, I'd like to be able to push a button and talk. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a phone junkie. I don't even own a smart phone. But I'm more than capable of talking while riding....hands free.

Thanks, Dan

Dear @oconeedan:

I'm new here as well.

This is actually one of my peeves. I can't tell you how many times I see someone pass me, and they are looking at their phone, and not the road.

I used to beep my horns, but later realized I'm better off just staying away from them.

However, it doesn't bother me to see someone talking "to themself" with a hands free phone.

I ride an hour and 10 minutes from work. Each way, every day. I have logged over 100,000 miles in less than 4 years.

Numerous times, I would like to take an incoming call. Since I can't, I usually spend quite a while after I am home, returning the calls. I have been listening to "pipes only" for years. Now I have a quieter bike, I'd like to be able to push a button and talk. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a phone junkie. I don't even own a smart phone. But I'm more than capable of talking while riding....hands free.

Thanks, Dan

Thanks, Dan

Dear @oconeedan:

Your physical & mental capabilities as well as the technology available to - take a phone call- while riding have never been in question.

I believe that > 99% of the public consider it heinous to -take a phone call- hand free or not, during sex, during a movie in a theater, during a funeral, etc. I would like the status of -taking a phone call- while riding, to be elevated to the same socially unacceptable level, as those in the previously mentioned list.

In the event of an accident, I would also like a large metal spike to emanate forth from the steering wheel of a car instead of the airbag, to drivers guilty of -texting while driving-. I believe with a driver knowing this before hand, they may be less likely to drive distracted.

Knowing full well that I will completely fail in my attempt to convert any body else over to my ideas, I am completely content to remain the only person on the planet who has these thoughts. However, I try to convey these thoughts to others whenever I get the chance.