IGNORED

What to look for in headsets?

Bwhite

2000 RSV - I was told the intercom system has never been used on the bike. I'm looking at getting a pair of headsets for wife and I. Not sure what to look for. Are they available kinda like headphones so I don't have to mount into a helmet. Is the plug-in connector a standard connector?

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

While I am sure not an expert in this area, I can comment on my own experience. Based on advice from other members, I bought J&M headsets and installed them in our helmets. You need to get the model designed for open vs closed faced helmets, depending on what you have. Sound quality is quite good (not great for those who like quality music). They were extremely easy to install in our helmets and can be removed just as easily. With the intercom capability, my wife and I both enjoy our rides much more with these headsets.

When I bought my 05 I got chatterbox head sets. In the winter I wear a 3/4 helmet but in summer a half helmet. I didn't like the fact that the earphones had to be mounted in the helmet and I couldn't mount them in the half helmet. Also the sound wasn't very good so I bought an adapter from edsets that allows you to plug earbuds into the system. I cut the speaker wires and took the speakers out of the helmet. Now with the adapter I can plug the earbuds in the intercomm system and then into my ear so it doesn't matter which helmet I use. Also the sound quality is much better.

• 1 year later...