IGNORED

Using Antennas to fly flags

Bert2006

I now have fiberglass antennas and am wondering if I can use these to fly small 6x9 flags. I know a number of members had problems with breaking stock antennas when used with flags, but would the fiberglass ones be stronger? I have the 3ft Francis ones.

They are only $20 each, so I could always try it as they are cheap to replace.:confused24:

Thanks

Well, I can tell you that I lost two antennas that way. I was flying them from the Firestik Firefly. They were a more slender antenna. The antennas didn't break though, it was the fold down mounts that I had used. They were a nice black "Euro" mount or something like that but were made from cast aluminum and couldn't take the strain. Still, I would be hesitant to do it.

Thanks, they like everything else cost more here in Canada. I am looking at folding flag holders and that does add to the price. Also, with the Cnd dollar being so low and the costs of shipping and import charges it is now better for us to get stuff from Canadian suppliers. Just saw a video in another thread showing how a fiberglass antenna was bending at speed and that has convinced me to not use them as flag holders. I will take a look at any lead though........

It appears that those type do fold down in case you want to put a cover over your bike. Good choice!

You can cut out two tennis balls and keep them in a side bag. When you want to put a cover over yoru bike you can take the tennis balls and slide them over each flag holder after it is folded down, to protect your bike cover from getting torn. I use a PVC pipe cap for mine.

It appears that those type do fold down in case you want to put a cover over your bike. Good choice!

You can cut out two tennis balls and keep them in a side bag. When you want to put a cover over yoru bike you can take the tennis balls and slide them over each flag holder after it is folded down, to protect your bike cover from getting torn. I use a PVC pipe cap for mine.

Great tip, thanks!:clap2: