IGNORED

started on bike again

rbig1

well reset carbs again. runs real good to 4500 rpm then gets a spark ping and falls on face till below 4000 rpm. don't think im getting mileage out of fuel. but haven't went far. my thoughts fuel level. but disassembled 8 carbs and all were set same so.. advance set to aggressive but ran 8000 miles no problem with revs. vac leak sprayed oil around boots and carbs no difference. I think ive done every thing I can think of going to lower advance see what happens.

I suggest checking the carb slides. If the slides do not move to allow more air and fuel, the engine will stop pulling. You can remove the top of the air cleaner and see the slides. Rev the engine and see if all four are moving about the same. The bike will not be drivable without the air cleaner assembled. In fact, it will do about the same because of too much air and not enough fuel.

:detective:

Glad to here you are out tinkering again if there is anything you need or if you want some help not much knowledge but can give someone to bounce ideas off of . Or if you get it running and need someone to take a test ride with call me.

• 1 month later...

Well went out and took air filter off of bike after I warmed it up. The number 2 slide was lagging. So I took it apart. Pulled off the diaphragm and put it up to the light. Nada so put it all back together. Works just like all the others. Would that kill the throttle and not rev randomly. Last time about got killed when it did that. Im afraid to try it out. Seems to easy of a fix. What do you think. ROD

Well talked with a couple of guys on facebook page on this form. They gave me a few ideas to try. Heat gauge on exhaust. Don't know if its missing enough for it to show difference but will try it. Makes sense. Wires don't know if I changed them or not messed with to much stuff. So next month will buy new. Cant buy in town they want ya to buy full roll. Don't know if I made everyone mad or what as no replys on this thread. If I did sorry. Just starting to crawl out of a hole I fell in. Day by day Going to help my boys a few days so bike has to wait. Its too bad these ign boxes don't have diagnostic mode to drop each cylinder for spark test. And times fired per cylinder per minute. Then you would know instead of guessing. If I had a scope would know also. Maybe ill check into that git my boys to split cost of meter. WE have done that on a few tools. I've thrown too many parts at this. Not a good way to do things. Any ideas throw them at me. rod swailes {rbig1}

Rodney....

is the tachometer staying steady to road speed when you encounter the miss.

Can you run up the rpm and test voltage at TCI to ensure power supply remains good.

Might also fire up bike at night...rev it up...watch for arcing from coils or wires. Not the first Venture to have cracks on the coils.

I'll try to do compression test started out to do that then forgot what I was doing. Tac seams to work good no bouncing will test voltage again. will start it up tonight and check for arcing. Replaced coils but they were used so still possible. Only needed to replace one but changed them all. Wire was chewed bare on one.

Hi Tommy, have to help both kids next few days. Dri wall and balljoints after that then we can play. Could use some pointers on fuel tank repair and help on venture. Neil, fired up bike couldn't make spark jump anywhere. Tried long enough to make my eyes burn. lol Good thing I cleaned garage or would have never got out alive. And the tac never moved. don't know if it was cold enough to stick sounded like was running on all cylinders.

Yes I have almost feel guilty I love it only have about 250 miles since I picked it up . Went out for a ride down to Rbig1's told him to get his running because we will be a lot of riding come warm weather. No one can believe how nice it is, you and po did get job of saving it for me. Thank you

• 5 weeks later...

well don't be sorry you woke up my sleeping mind. Gave me some ideas. Had blanked out after retiring, more than I knew. LOL It was nice not having to work on equipment anymore still get questions from them though. Was out in garage working on bike started to get cold, wham propane ran out. Now have to go do that. Need to put natural gas in garage. Was getting ready to test fuel level.