IGNORED

H3 halogen to LED inserts/bulbs

Prairiehammer

This is probably going to be of interest to First Gen guys, since the Second Gen guys already have driving/passing lights.

Many, if not most, of us First Gen guys have auxiliary driving/fog/passing lights added. Many, if not most, of these added auxiliary lights have halogen H3 bulbs.

My question: Has anyone found a LED replacement unit for the H3 bulb? I mean, a replacement that is really good and bright and has a proper focal point for your existing driving light reflector.

I am hesitant to replace my nice vintage chrome driving light housing (they are original Cibie from VentureLine), but I would like to reduce the electrical load of these halogen bulbs by substituting an simple and effective LED unit/bulb. But I am not so keen on a LED, if it is just going to scatter a meager light in all directions, like a flood light. I want a a moderately narrow beam, just as the H3 currently provides.

Any worthy suggestions?

I have not installed it yet, but I did buy a set of H3 HID bulbs to put into my driving lights.

The HIDs are 35W the halogens are 55 so I will save a total of 40W and should have much more light. Since I have not installed them yet I do not know how they will focus.

i have a set on my bike that are 16w led, put out 1280 lumen's each, and are build like rigid industries.

http://www.rthibert.com/web/Files/Cat/DPB/accessoires/files/assets/basic-html/page509.html

its the rtx1212 at the bottom of the page

or the rigid industries ones themselves but those are the led top of the line lights, damn near bullet proof. the bike could tumble down the highway (dont try that) and they will be fine.

but both are pretty pricy

There are plenty of H3 led bulbs out there but the big issue is which works and which does not work. What your looking for is an H3 that is not a projection bulb because the the magnifier on the end of the bulb will put the focal point way off. The best ones to use are the ones that look like a turn signal bulb but with an H3 mount.

• 10 months later...

Kevin:

I use the Rigid Industries Dually off road lights. 10 watts each and 1500 Lumens. About $150 to $175 per pair. They have a 10 degree spot pattern. Model number 20221.

They work great and I get comments all the time about how bright they are. You have to keep them aimed down in order to eliminate glare for oncoming traffic. I have one pointed at the right shoulder for deer and the other aimed straight down the road. I have a Silverstar in my 89 VR and it looks like a candle compared to the Rigid units.

Jim