IGNORED

Non venture question

venturejockey

I have a friend with three thats right three 1970's vintage 750 Kawasaki triples. Two of them are together, one with an expansion chamber, and one basket case. The bikes have been setting up for a number of years.

Any questions about where to start on getting one or more running? I'm thinking that the seals most likely need replacing, carb boots could be cracked and leaking. Cleaning the carbs. Draining, inspecting and cleaning the gas and oil tanks. Replacement of plugs etc. We just don't want to get one of them started and discover the hard way that there is an air leak.

Any other suggestions?

First thing is check for spark, you could waste a lot of time worrying about fuel if you dont have any, fresh plugs for sure. Drain the fuel and run a gallon of fresh fuel through the tank to help clean out and debris. Drain the carbs and pull the bowls to see whats inside them.

Let the bowls fill back up and see if you can get it started, if so take some starter fluid and spray around the boots. This will help you to find out if they are cracked and need replacing if the engine rev's while spraying. Just some places to start, let us know if these work and if we need to do some more troubleshooting.

BTW I had a 750 triple...they will scare the hell out of you :)

Brother in law had Three 500's one worked. IT was a fun bike, actually took it for my road test, the lady doc'd me marks because I never switched gears soon enough because of the noise I switched gears at 3,000 rpm. :rotf: .

Blew the engien and had a h*** of a time getting one of them of the other engines to work. It was a serious timing problem, that was not adjustable.

Anyway have fun restoring them and be careful when he gets them going.

Brad

I've always been a fan of the Kaw triples. Had both the 500 and the 750. One thing that makes them run sweet is to sync the carbs. I never had a carbtune when I did it. I used a mirror to watch when the slides started to move, and adjusted the throttle cable adjusters on the carbs until all three carbs opened at the same time.

The carbs were pretty simple and forgiving to re-build. I have no idea if you can still get kits.

One thing I would worry about is the oil injection system. That old two stroke oil can set up like glue. Drain what is in the tank and put in some fresh oil right off the bat so it can get mixed in with what is left in the lines.

They are fun bikes around town. I'm not sure I'd want to take a tour on one again. Last time I did that I was buzzing like a two dollar radio for about an hour after I got off the bike. Also, if you plan on taking it on a twisty road take off the center stand. The center stand will drag real early.

if its been setting for a couple years id make sure you change all the crank seals you dont want to burn a piston change all seals and boots

fuel lines oil lines that way you know that there are no cracks

I had a new 79 kh500 what a ride:thumbsup2: