IGNORED

GPS location and mount for 1st Gen

I just purchased a used Garmin 765 and looking for some ideas and advice as to location and mounting method. I intend to wire it in to the electrical system also so if anyone has a preference as to which wiring system is better I would appreciate that also. Thanks.

I just put a 765 on my 89.

I replaced the bolt that holds the rider audio control to the clutch perch with a ball for my former GPS. That one was part of a kit, but similar to this: RAM M10 X 1.25 Pitch Male Thread with 1" Ball. The 10x1.25 thread is definitely correct. The 765 mounted right up to it.

I had replaced my cassette deck with a hook up for MP3 player. I hooked that to the 765 to use the MP3 player.

Buy Snagglestuds from Bob Meyers. Ask him if he'll quote drilling & tapping 1/4-20 in center of ends for you. Buy Ram ball mounts that screw in to 1/4-20 and some other linkage like a GPS mount, a ball for the rear of that and an arm that grips a ball on either end. For power I would consider a cigarette lighter USB converter and your USB cable that came with the GPS. Or I would replace the cig lighter with a wired-in USB Charging port with a watertight pop-off cover.

You can wire in a charging cable but it has to convert 12v to 5v and you need a place for it to be when it's not being used. The other solutions for power that I gave solve that and are less expensive.

I just put a 765 on my 89.

I replaced the bolt that holds the rider audio control to the clutch perch with a ball for my former GPS. That one was part of a kit, but similar to this: RAM M10 X 1.25 Pitch Male Thread with 1" Ball. The 10x1.25 thread is definitely correct. The 765 mounted right up to it.

I had replaced my cassette deck with a hook up for MP3 player. I hooked that to the 765 to use the MP3 player.

Thanks. Did that require removing the audio control unit to provide clearance for the GPS? The ball on mine is smaller than 1". Do you know what is the correct size?

@Donvito, I use a product called a "Velocity clip" on both my 86 Venture and 84 Goldwing to hold my GPS or Phones. I located it on my left handle bar and it is tall enough to clear the audio control on the Venture. It is a universal mount so your not just restricted to a single application, I hold my GPS, big iPhone 6plus, camera's etc.. I picked it up on Ebay directly from the manufacturer for around $40. Here is a picture and link to the manufacturer:

Link to Manufacturer website: Velocity Clip

Link to Ebay auction (they were flexible on price when I bought mine by using the "make Offer" button): velocityclip | eBay

Pic of the mount: Screen Shot 2015-02-23 at 6.57.10 AM.jpg

As for wiring....I don't like movable accessories hardwired into my bike.....so I picked up a waterproof USB jack off of eBay and installed that on my Venture....right where a previous owner had installed a cigarette lighter. Most electronics use USB to power them now a days so I can have universal power to all my phones, GPS, or to charge my Sena Bluetooth helmet system. As the guys said no matter what you do, please wire it to the ACC on your bike so it will be switched power and not constant to prevent battery drain.

Screen Shot 2015-02-23 at 7.09.22 AM.png

Edited by VanRiver

Ok, I remembered this when I got to the shop. My mount is a little different than the one I linked earlier. The type mount I have they don't seem to have outside their complete kits. Still, I think the one I showed you should work with the correct arm.

Here are a couple pictures of my mount:

HPIM1600.JPG

HPIM1601.JPG

Vito,

I use a simple GoPro clamp mount on the left handle bar at the junction of the 2nd bar. Right around the rubber covering. I can put my GoPro or my Waterproof covered case that will hold my phone or GPS. Right now...I only have the bottom mount on..rest is in trunk. Doesn't interfere with anything and is easy to see at a glance when in GPS mode.

I also have a universal clamp mount that fits many type bars and that works on either side as well. I like the GoPro on left...so may put universal on right and use that for the GPS/Phone. Not sure yet.

Regarding power. The phone and GPS will require power so I as thinking of putting a DC outlet on the right side "damper" then thread power cord internally on first bar up to the mount at the junction. My concern is making sure the power cable leaves plenty of play for turns yet doesn't snag on anything. Still thinking that through...

GoPro type Mount.jpg

This is my universal mount....

Me 04B WPCS Universal Motorcycle Bike Handlebar Mount Holder for 4 3" Screen GPS | eBay

NOTE: Bought my case from another supplier...under $25. But can't find info...

Hope this helps

david

Edited by videoarizona
Added note/link changed!

Here is a pic of my "Velocity Clip" on my bike.....it has a quick release so you can detach it and lock it in the truck without needing to take the device out of the holder. The other pic is the bracket that stays behind on the handle bar.

But I also really like @videoarizona idea of the go pro mount which seems to be becoming a standard platform now in the market for many cases and gadgets.

IMG_3823-1.JPG IMG_3824.JPG

@Donvito, I use a product called a "Velocity clip" on both my 86 Venture and 84 Goldwing to hold my GPS or Phones. I located it on my left handle bar and it is tall enough to clear the audio control on the Venture. It is a universal mount so your not just restricted to a single application, I hold my GPS, big iPhone 6plus, camera's etc.. I picked it up on Ebay directly from the manufacturer for around $40. Here is a picture and link to the manufacturer:

Link to Manufacturer website: Velocity Clip

Link to Ebay auction (they were flexible on price when I bought mine by using the "make Offer" button): velocityclip | eBay

Pic of the mount: [ATTACH=CONFIG]97633[/ATTACH]

As for wiring....I don't like movable accessories hardwired into my bike.....so I picked up a waterproof USB jack off of eBay and installed that on my Venture....right where a previous owner had installed a cigarette lighter. Most electronics use USB to power them now a days so I can have universal power to all my phones, GPS, or to charge my Sena Bluetooth helmet system. As the guys said no matter what you do, please wire it to the ACC on your bike so it will be switched power and not constant to prevent battery drain.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]97636[/ATTACH]

I'm not sure if a USB power supply will work with my Garmin. When I plug it into my car's USB port it doesn't start. Mine has the power supply through the cradle but it also has a mini usb port. If I use my wife's Garmin plug from her GPS to the mini usb jack on my unit, it will start up. I think it needs 5 volts. Do you know if it will work for my unit? If it does, it would be great because I also have a cigarette lighter on my bike that I could remove and install this power supply. I like having another usb for charging a phone or mp3 player. Thanks.

Hi @Donvito, I believe most current GPS units support charging via the USB port...but to be honest I'm not certain about your particular model. How do you charge your GPS in the car currently? Did it come with a special cable for the car?

If you already have a cigarette lighter installed on your bike, then you could simply get a converter to plug into that rather then removing it and needing to buy a special unit like I did. These converters are very cheap now a days.....even your local dollar store might sell them:

Screen Shot 2015-02-23 at 2.55.14 PM.png

I'm not sure if a USB power supply will work with my Garmin. When I plug it into my car's USB port it doesn't start. Mine has the power supply through the cradle but it also has a mini usb port. If I use my wife's Garmin plug from her GPS to the mini usb jack on my unit, it will start up. I think it needs 5 volts. Do you know if it will work for my unit? If it does, it would be great because I also have a cigarette lighter on my bike that I could remove and install this power supply. I like having another usb for charging a phone or mp3 player. Thanks.

Hi @Donvito, I believe most current GPS units support charging via the USB port...but to be honest I'm not certain about your particular model. How do you charge your GPS in the car currently? Did it come with a special cable for the car?

If you already have a cigarette lighter installed on your bike, then you could simply get a converter to plug into that rather then removing it and needing to buy a special unit like I did. These converters are very cheap now a days.....even your local dollar store might sell them:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]97648[/ATTACH]

My old model came with a cable that plugs into the car's cigarette lighter. It will turn on when I start the car and turns off when I turn the car off. My wife's new model came with a similar cable, Neither unit will go into navigate mode when plugged into a usb port, they seem to think they are connected to a computer. My wife's power cable plugs into the mini usb on the gps. If I use her cable and plug it into my unit and plug it into the cigarette lighter, it works. Garmin sells a cable to wire it directly to a 12 volt source so that may be what I have to do unless someone has another idea.

Don does your cable have a large rectangle black piece on the cable like 8 or so inches fron the end? Thats the reciever for the traffic deal. Not always a useful bit of info as not all areas support it. If you decide to go wwith a different cable let me know as I ordered one for mine as the clips on the side plug thing broke and its a pain to disconnect. So I bought the mini usb cable and it works great. Now I just leave that cable on the bike. I think I gave a few bucks for it not the 20 or so garmin wants.

Don does your cable have a large rectangle black piece on the cable like 8 or so inches fron the end? Thats the reciever for the traffic deal. Not always a useful bit of info as not all areas support it. If you decide to go wwith a different cable let me know as I ordered one for mine as the clips on the side plug thing broke and its a pain to disconnect. So I bought the mini usb cable and it works great. Now I just leave that cable on the bike. I think I gave a few bucks for it not the 20 or so garmin wants.

Yes, I have the traffic cable with the black rectangle. Where do you plug your cable on the bike or is it wired in?

Yea mine too. but the traffic thing is about useless IMOP. It halfazz works in and around Tampa Bay area depending on where you are, Orlando it is like its 20 min behind actual traffic conditions. Mine is plugged into the lighter socket. Here is a sample.

Dion, do you have a 765 and if you do have you ever tried to operate it using a usb port?

Garmin Nuvi 765t requires 12v to the CRADLE and will not run from the 5v USB input. The 12v pigtails can be purchased off eBay or amazon for under $10. The traffic is useless unless in a MAJOR metropolitan area; I'm in Chicago and its 50/50 on the traffic being worth while.

Don the only time I have used USB is on the PC to maily upload routes I have made. I know it will charge off there, but as far as actually run off the Mini usb (plug that goes into the unit) and a USB plugged into a charger port on bike I do not know. I know when I plug it into the PC it asks if importing data I think. Sort of like what mode you want it to operate in. I just got a cord with the cig type plug and went from there. I would almost just cut it off and hard wire it in if I didn't think there was some kind of voltage reducer or something in that end that plugs into the cig port.

Garmin Nuvi 765t requires 12v to the CRADLE and will not run from the 5v USB input. The 12v pigtails can be purchased off eBay or amazon for under $10. The traffic is useless unless in a MAJOR metropolitan area; I'm in Chicago and its 50/50 on the traffic being worth while.

Mine does operate, as Dion said, when I connect the power cable from my wife's Garmin unit to the mini usb port and, according to the specs on it, it is providing 4.75 to 5.25 VDC which is, what I thought, a USB port provided. Somehow it knows the difference. I guess I'll just leave the traffic cable in the car and buy another cable that I can wire into the bike. Thanks and I think I'm done.

On my 1st gen, I made a plate I attached to the left handlebar that I put the GPS suction cup to. I originally did this because I used the GPS in different vehicles, but now it just stays on the bike. I also converted to the plugin in the cigarette lighter with the USB port and that cleaned up my wiring a lot.721.JPG723.JPG724.JPG

Randy