IGNORED

Cleaning brake pads

Last summer, I noticed the foot brake not being very effective.

A couple of months ago I saw oil dripping on the floor off of the fork and realized what was going on.

So, last week, I cleaned the fork and wheel with ether. I got my Seal Mate out and worked on the leaky fork.

Then I removed the brake pads, which were almost new and oily.

They don't wear much when they're oily.

Clamped them up side down in the vise and took a propane torch to them. Flame only on the pads.

When they got hot, the oil started running off of them and then started burning.

When they seemed oil free, I removed them. They didn't seem very hot.

Reinstalled them and have been riding last three days.

Braking action has returned and the fork is oil free so far.

Hope it lasts.

Hope you didn't "weaken" the bonding adhesive that holds them to the backing plate when you heated them up... Would hate to see you apply the brakes and hear your pads hitting the hiway as you ride past them as they bounce along side of you.

Use Brake Clean that you can buy at any auto parts store. That is what it's for.

I admit that when my 85 Kawasaki's fork seals leaked all over the OE brakes, I washed them with Simple Green and water and kept on using them. I probably should have replaced the pads since they were 25 years old! You don't need to use a torch!!

Hope you didn't "weaken" the bonding adhesive that holds them to the backing plate when you heated them up... Would hate to see you apply the brakes and hear your pads hitting the hiway as you ride past them as they bounce along side of you.

Didn't get them that hot. Backing plates were only warm when I was finished.

Some people throw them in the BBQ grill to clean them.

Leaving me with two other brake systems.

Oz, Hmmm....Since the rear brake pads would be gone.....that would only leave us with one brake system. Front right. The front left would be useless as the rear pistons would be all the way out and probably not enough brake pressure left to feed and move the left front pistons.

Maybe yes? (makes sense to me....) But at least we would have one brake working!!

I have been in the maintinance field for 36 years and never heard of no stuff like that! Yeah brakes get hot but not THAT hot. Maybe race CARS on a long track with lots of curves, I agree with the cost of pads (cheapies can be had for $15.00 or so a set. PM me and I'll tell you where. They are organic, not the best but if bucks are hard to come by they work....

If the pads did come loose, they might jam and lock up the wheel causing disastrous results. I know a guy who was riding a Ducati when his front wheel locked up. He woke up in the hospital after going over the handlebars. Broken arm, ribs, and a few other miscellaneous injuries.