Have seeb that in a fair amount of user pics, the TCI/CDI box is on top of the air box under the false tank. I'm guessing this is done to keep the unit cool, as it wouldn't be sitting directly over the engine. Is this a model year difference (I've got a Mk2 87) or is it a after-market user modification? In mine, it looks like its mounted to a frame rail.

I noticed this as I've been looking at wiring and fuse block upgrade threads, and saw the box, and wasn't sure if it was an aftermarket or moving the original. Can't find a thread talking about it, so figured I would have to ask.

Glenn in Tucson

Have seeb that in a fair amount of user pics, the TCI/CDI box is on top of the air box under the false tank. I'm guessing this is done to keep the unit cool, as it wouldn't be sitting directly over the engine. Is this a model year difference (I've got a Mk2 87) or is it a after-market user modification? In mine, it looks like its mounted to a frame rail.

I noticed this as I've been looking at wiring and fuse block upgrade threads, and saw the box, and wasn't sure if it was an aftermarket or moving the original. Can't find a thread talking about it, so figured I would have to ask.

Glenn in Tucson

The relocation of the TCI is exclusively an owner modification. Yamaha installed the TCI in the same location throughout the First Generation Venture manufacturing run. The air box is unchanged when the TCI is relocated.

The neat thing is the TCI can be relocated to the top of the airbox and no wiring modifications have to be done. When I moved mine, I originally put it in the radio hole, but then I moved it to the airbox when I went to the MKII TCI. I found that when I set one of the mounting points on the edge of my battery, which tilted the TCI down some, that it worked nicely.

I think most of us relocate them more for them being kept dry than the engine heat.

RandyA

I moved mine because as the engine got hotter it would start to misfire. Moving the TCI cured that, but it turned out to be rusted so bad internally that I replaced it.

:sign yeah that::sign yeah that:

If you are going thru the efffort to pull the TCI out, while you have it out take a peek inside. There are 8 diodes in there that corrode over time. IF you replace them while they are still working, all is good. If any one of those 8 diodes fail, the whole TCI is junk instantly. There are a few posts with instructions and required parts to do this.