As part of my changeover to the MKII forks on 83, I am wanting to slide the forks up a little in the tripple tree. When I changed my springs to Progressives, even though I did not use any spacers on the springs, it raised the front of my bike up some. I will be transfering these springs and won't be using any air and wondering if any others had done this and what did they do about the holes where the air goes into the tube. I suspect the holes will be up under the clamped area, but feel they would still need some type of seal to keeping from leaking shock fluid.

RandyA

If I have it right, there is a ciriclip on the fork that sits right under the top part of the triple tree. This is there to prevent the fork from sliding any higher into the tree. You cannot clamp the tree tight enough to prevent movement, so the ciriclip is there so that the fork bottoms out. Somehow you would have to deal with that issue as well.

The circlip is there to keep the air collar from sliding down. The trees will hold the fork in place.

That is what I was thinking. I was just getting ready to go out to the garage to check this out. I guess if I could remove the air collar and move it up that thickness, it would be as Marcarl stated.

I don't think the tubes can be moved up much, or they will be hitting stuff above the tripple tree.

RandyA

Unless the motorcycle is now too tall for you I'd suggest you not do anything. It's not that the progressive springs raised the front, it's that they eliminated the drop caused by the old springs.

If it is too tall, I'd look to modifying the seat before changing the suspension geometry.

Unless the motorcycle is now too tall for you I'd suggest you not do anything. It's not that the progressive springs raised the front, it's that they eliminated the drop caused by the old springs.

If it is too tall, I'd look to modifying the seat before changing the suspension geometry.

You are probably correct on the spring height, it is just taller than it was before I changed them. As far as the seat, I have a Corbin that has been scooped out and is lower.

I have put about 150,000 miles on this bike and just looking at some possible changes as part of my front end rebuild and was wondering if anyone had done this.

Being inseam challenged can have its moments of frustration in those unsettling times when you are going over.

RandyA

If you decide to go that route make sure and get the matching riding gear:

http://www.returnofkings.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/PM710126.jpg

See, that brought back another memory. As a teen of the 60's, I never got to wear bell bottom pants because when I bought them and had them shortened to fit, they were not bell bottoms any more. :backinmyday:

RandyA

On a more practical note, you might be able to plug holes with JB weld, then file residue down smooth to block air ports, they are rather small. Guessing maybe 3/32" dia.

You won't be able to raise forks much, maybe 3/4" before you have clearance issues with fairing. Then as mentioned above, you will run into clearence issue with fork brace when front end is full collapsed. Front end has 5 1/2" travel.

I have a set of adjustable fork preload caps that wouldn't fit on Tweety, they are on Hybrid for now.

Picture shows them, bike is dusty from where I blew insulation into garage attic & sidewalls a few weeks ago.

Gary

20141222_192510.jpg