Hey all, Happy Holidays!

I rolled the dice on an instrument cluster on fleabay. I needed to replace the monitor in mine as the edges of the glass had what looked like black ink creeping in. I suspect this is an LCD pane and it's in an on-going fail mode.

It's always a crapshoot buying stuff this way unless they post of vid of the running bike, which this one didn't. So if it didn't work I'm not out a lot of dough.

Well, the new pane works, but it's very dim. I'm thinking it sat in the sun a long time and dulled the pane. So anyone know a trick to bring it back bright and visible again? The clock is from the old unit, the new one was too dim to see. The last pic is the old monitor.

In daylight the display is very hard to see. It's getting dark here, plus it's rainy so no outside daylight pics available.

But you can see the diff between the upper and lower displays. Any way to make it brighter?

IMG_4347.jpgIMG_4348.jpgIMG_4351.jpgIMG_4341.jpg

Couple things I notice:

1. The icons on the monitor are dimly showing even when there should be no icon showing, with the only icon that should be showing (the kickstand warning) and the gas gauge showing slightly more contrast and 'brightness'.

2. Your profile says you have a 1983, but the pictures show a later year instrument cluster. I would suspect that your problem lies with the different years.

Couple things I notice:

1. The icons on the monitor are dimly showing even when there should be no icon showing, with the only icon that should be showing (the kickstand warning) and the gas gauge showing slightly more contrast and 'brightness'.

2. Your profile says you have a 1983, but the pictures show a later year instrument cluster. I would suspect that your problem lies with the different years.

Dang, busted. All good catches! Here goes...:

When I started the resto I was blissfully ignorant of year models and variants. First thing I got was the cluster. Typical ebay listing, "fits 1982-1985". Looked nice, so I got it. Diddn't notice it said "Cruise" on it, nor did I notice the 2-piece monitor vs. 1 on what I already had. Tried to plug it into the harness and DOH!!

So since the harness was also a gnarly mess from whatever electrical issues it had when parked all those years ago, I opted to get a 41R loom instead of a 26H. Of course that lead to replacing a bunch of stuff like handlebar controls and anything else that wouldn't plug into the 41R harness. Would have been MUCH easier AND cheaper to just get a 26H cluster and try to sell the other one. So I guess I should change my profile to read Hybrid, or sommat similar.

As to all icons showing dimly, that's on purpose. I focused the camera, then turned the key off, then on and snapped the pic. Wanted to show how dim all the icons are. The 1st pic is after cycle-thru. Good eye!:bowdown:

You might want to just verify all is good on the power in and ground out on the display...maybe the connections are poor.

Power in should be the brown on the larger connector to display, ground is the black on the smaller plug.

I'll take a look when I get home. On the road till Christmas night.