IGNORED

TCI trouble

Hey there! I'm a new venture owner, would be my first cruiser bike ive had, and by far the biggest ive ridden! That being said, ive read through a lot of the threads here trying to get my bike going, and it appears i have a bad TCI. Ive tested coils, checked connections, tested pick up coils, all looks fine. I have fire on 3 of 4 coils, i have a spare,coil that ive plugged into each of the coil connections, and still only get fire,on 3 of the 4. From what ive determined, the orange wire coming from the tci that goes to the rear left coil on the bike does not get its ground,signal to,fire the,coil. Ive opened up the TCI, and while it doesnt,look horrible, i think its irrepairable. One of the caps were burst, i removed it and could try to solder in a new one, but finding that particular cap would be difficult, and may end up being fruitless if the tci is toast from the damage that has taken place, as i have read that is usually the,case when actual damage has occurred versus just having bad solders or bad connections. Times are tough, and money is tight, and,im really wanting to get the bike going to start saving on gas for my,commute to work. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, as i simply cannot afford a nearly 300$ TCI for the bike right now.

Gambling with any used one. But saying that I've been very lucky with the used ones if you can find one anymore. Best bet and I know you said bucks were important, save a few and give our "Dingy" (member here) a shout. He sells a replacement for these things that cures all the woes he claims. I have two of them and still haven't hooked one up to try it....:think: I've been lucky enough to keep the original ones going.

Edited by Yammer Dan

I have a good working stock TCI that I will loan you.

The following will sound insensitive, deal with it. Since you are new here and no 'track record' I will want a $125 deposit and I will send it to you. You can try it in bike and if it works, you know what problem is. If it doesn't you saved throwing parts at it. If you want to, you can keep it, or return it to me. I will put it in my bike, if it works I will refund your deposit.

I do have a fairly good 'track record' here and have not, to my knowledge, ever been unfair in any of my many dealings with people here or on ebay.

Issue with borrowing one from somebody is the are a pain in the buttocks to remove from bike. They would have to be a dam good friend to do that.

Gary

I would take "dingy" up on that if you can. I loaned my excellent one to Hdroyer (member then) at the Ashville meet a few years ago. He is long gone with my TCI. I do have a extra and would do as Dingy but I haven't tested this one for years so it would be better to go with him.

@mralex714 I had seen that listing on ebay, but wasnt sure if that TCI would work for my bike or not, being that it is for a newer year and a 1300 instead of a 1200. I thought that it very well could, but wanted to find out from someone here what they thought. Tried calling the dealer to look it up, but he couldnt make heads or tails of what I was talking about. I appreciate the offer Dingy, I will give it some thought and see how things go. If anyone can give me any solid info on the ebay listing that mralex714 had posted, as to wether or not it will be compatible with my bike, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks for helping out everyone, looking forward to getting the bike on the road soon! In the meantime waiting to save up or track down a TCI, ive got plenty of work to do on the fairings to get them looking new again, they were mostly held to the frame with a few bolts and a bunch of zipties! But for $250, it turned over and tried to run, it was a steal. Thus far all thats wrong with it is beat up fairings, a little leak in the gas tank, and the TCI being out (more than likely)

@mralex714 I had seen that listing on ebay, but wasnt sure if that TCI would work for my bike or not, being that it is for a newer year and a 1300 instead of a 1200. I thought that it very well could, but wanted to find out from someone here what they thought. Tried calling the dealer to look it up, but he couldnt make heads or tails of what I was talking about. I appreciate the offer Dingy, I will give it some thought and see how things go. If anyone can give me any solid info on the ebay listing that mralex714 had posted, as to wether or not it will be compatible with my bike, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks for helping out everyone, looking forward to getting the bike on the road soon! In the meantime waiting to save up or track down a TCI, ive got plenty of work to do on the fairings to get them looking new again, they were mostly held to the frame with a few bolts and a bunch of zipties! But for $250, it turned over and tried to run, it was a steal. Thus far all thats wrong with it is beat up fairings, a little leak in the gas tank, and the TCI being out (more than likely)

The First Gen TCI fall into three versions:

26H (black label) are for 1983 only.

41R (-10, green label; -11, blue label) are for 1984-1989.

3JJ (yellow label) are for 1990-1993 only.

26H 1983.jpg41R 1984-1989 TCI 1a.jpg41R 1984-1989 TCI.jpg3JJ 1990-1993.jpg

Edited by Prairiehammer